PDA

View Full Version : cardio for weight loss

accuFLEX
09-09-2005, 05:47 AM
yes yes i know...to lose weight you must burn more cals than your body uses....ive been here long enough to know that hahha

Last year i used the crosstrainer for 40min a day, burning around 7-800 cals. This year, i cant stand to get on the thing for any longer than 20min, 30 at the very most. I can burn about 500 cals on it in that amount of time

But now im big into joging. I can jog outside forever and not get bored. My legs are a little sore the next day, which never happened on a crosstrainer no matter how long i was on the thing for

My question is...should i keep to running even if i dont burn as many cals? or suck it up and do crosstrainer work, for what feels like forever?

EDIT: a few people haev pm'ed me about update pics...keep an eye out for my first update in over 4 months i think

dissipate
09-09-2005, 08:41 AM
firstly.. i don't think those machines accurately report how many cals you've burnt. if you love jogging, jog. (i'd keep to mostly HIIT and <60mins though) as long as jogging works, keep doing it.

AzBboy
09-09-2005, 12:32 PM
JOG! please, especially if you love it. Your matabolism raises for a while AFTER you've completed your jog, so your still burning cals for a while after. Don't listen to meatheads that tell you jogging will make you lose muscle mass, I tried the no cardio all weights prescription and didn't lose any weight for 6 strait weeks! The seventh week, so depressed, I added my cardio again...lost a whole percent of bodyfat in that single week!

bIgHwN86
09-09-2005, 09:53 PM
if you love to do it...do it. you do not want to make fitness and your routine something you dread on doing.

Built
09-09-2005, 09:56 PM
What's your diet like?

Shao-LiN
09-09-2005, 11:01 PM
JOG! please, especially if you love it. Your matabolism raises for a while AFTER you've completed your jog, so your still burning cals for a while after. Don't listen to meatheads that tell you jogging will make you lose muscle mass, I tried the no cardio all weights prescription and didn't lose any weight for 6 strait weeks! The seventh week, so depressed, I added my cardio again...lost a whole percent of bodyfat in that single week!

The cardio created a bigger caloric deficit for you. Cardio can be catabolic, but there are many benefits to it. Your metabolism is raised much more significantly and for a longer period of time following a weight training seesion than a cardio session.

Built
09-09-2005, 11:09 PM
Jogging doesn't leave you with a raised metabolism afterward like HIIT or lifting does.

Cardio is catabolic to both muscle and fat. You need SOME, but how much varies tremendously from person to person.