PDA

View Full Version : how bad is not eating for a few hrs

dtshen
10-09-2005, 11:51 AM
occasionally i'll go without eating to the point where i am pretty hungry.

like if i wake up at 8 i'll only have a protein bar until i eat lunch at 12. lets say from 9-12 i'm starving. how bad is this for muscle growth

getfit
10-09-2005, 11:56 AM
well if you're starving btwn 9-12 why not eat something?

gettinjackT
10-09-2005, 12:17 PM
Eating a large breakfast is very important. A protein bar isn't gonna cut it. After sleeping for 8 hrs or so, you are in a very catabolic state. You definately want to eat a large breakfast filled with protein, carbs, and fat. I know it isn't easy. This means you gotta wake up earlier, but you'll feel better not being hungry all morning. :)

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
10-09-2005, 02:09 PM
After sleeping for 8 hrs or so, you are in a very catabolic state. You definately want to eat a large breakfast filled with protein, carbs, and fat. I know it isn't easy. This means you gotta wake up earlier, but you'll feel better not being hungry all morning. :)2 words..."bedtime meal".

New_Sport
10-09-2005, 02:43 PM
Yeah, a big breakfast is what you need if you want to last 3 hrs without being hungry. After eating a protein bar I would be hungry in like half an hour. Usually for breakfast I have 1.5 cups of oatmeal dry (3 cups cooked) 1 tbsp natural peanut butter and 1 scoops of protein powder. Comes to like 749 calories 17g fat 96g carbs and 56g protein. Tastes great. I eat it at like 8 and it lasts me until lunch at school (12). Easy to prepare too. Verry healthy too, might want to add a fruit if you want.

gettinjackT
10-09-2005, 05:08 PM
2 words..."bedtime meal".

Huh? Where? I thought we were talking about breakfast?? :confused:

dtshen
10-09-2005, 05:56 PM
i know i need to eat breakfast. I want to know how bad it is for me if i Dont.

New_Sport
10-09-2005, 06:29 PM

Don't skip breakfast!

Breakfast is the most important meal of the day (or a tie with the meal following your workout). If you don't eat within an hour of when you get up, you are cheating yourself to put it mildly. If you are getting the 8-9 hours of sleep that you should be, then you haven't eaten for 8-9 hours...this is not good for bodybuilding. Some bodybuilders even wake up in the middle of the night and eat, so don't think you can get away without eating breakfast because you can't.

"When you wake up your body is under a lot of stress and this is a time when catabolic (muscle wasting) conditions are high. To not eat in the morning is basically assuring you won't gain muscle. You need to eat something." - Layne Norton

Ti1301
10-15-2005, 02:37 AM
personally for me, if I starve, I start losing mass.
Very important to eat.

spencerjrus
10-15-2005, 10:21 AM
For me eating a relatively large amount of food before I go to sleep is the key for being super hungry when I wake up in the morning. Sometimes I will wake up early by accident simply from the pain of hunger.

Shao-LiN
10-15-2005, 10:58 AM

You'll melt.

anasthetic
10-15-2005, 02:27 PM

Nobody can tell you exactly how bad for you it is. Doing it occasionally isn't going to make or break you. The general consensus is that if you do it on a regular basis, it is going to negatively impact your progress.