PDA

View Full Version : Why bulk?

ChrisC
10-27-2005, 06:04 PM
Hi my names Chris, im 16, 5'11, and currently weigh 156 pounds. Ive been following the WBB1 routine, and recently have been eating like crazy trying to bulk and put on some overall weight. However i recently read a article which stated that you can only but 1 pound of lean muscle on per week. So my question is, if you can only gain that 1 pound of muscle why gain that extra fat? I mean lets say I bulk up to 180 pounds, and quite a bit of that is fat, whats the point if im just going to cut the fat and reveal the muscle that i gained from working out in the first place? Im not sure if im being clear enough but this was the best i could explain myself.
Thanks

Shao-LiN
10-27-2005, 06:16 PM
Well, the article is innacurate. The ratio of muscle to fat gain will vary from individual to individual, while also being dependent on how solid your diet and training routines are.

In any event, what's the point of bulking? To gain lean body mass. Why do you cut? To try and drop the bodyfat while doing your best to retain as much LBM as you can.

Unreal
10-27-2005, 06:22 PM
Alot of people aim for about 1lb per week gain while bulking. If you eat 500 cals over maintence a day, you should put on about 1lb a week. If you are gaining weight too fast or too much fat, cut back. Bulking doesn't mean just eating everyting in sight, and whatever you want. Just eating an excess of calories to ensure growth.

SpecialK
10-27-2005, 06:37 PM
The reason people add fat while trying to add muscle is because your body is not ideal in the sense that it won't use every excess calorie for building muscle when you have a surplus, and it won't draw every calorie it needs from fat when you are in a deficit. The more muscle you add, the harder it gets to add additional muscle.

You can minimize the fat gained on a bulk by watching your diet carefully, counting calories, and making adjustments as necessary.

Built
10-27-2005, 06:38 PM
Bulking doesn't mean just eating everyting in sight, and whatever you want. Just eating an excess of calories to ensure growth.

Aw crap.

There goes my WINTER. <fumes> :mad:

Mercuryblade
10-27-2005, 07:35 PM
Fat levels also have to do with blood sugar levels, and a whole bunch of other complicated shiat. Basically you can gain muscle faster if you put on a little fat as well.

tigo
10-27-2005, 11:55 PM
if you dont eat you dont gain. you can't build muscle out of nothing

HardToSquat
10-28-2005, 07:38 AM
Bulking does work to build muscle and strength. Let me use myself as an example, I was cutting from about February-March this year until September 15. During this time I dropped 35 pounds. My lifts went up, but at a staggering rate. I started bulking and eating like a frigging horse for the last 1.5 months and my lifts have skyrocketed as follows: A Squat that goes up 40 pounds, Deadlift that goes up 50 pounds and a Dumbbell Bench that goes up 30 pounds(15 on each DB) total in a month and a half. And to top it off I have only gained 2 pounds now in my 1.5 month bulk and my waist is the same or smaller! This is the reason I bulk.

spencerjrus
10-28-2005, 10:10 AM
Bulking doesn't mean just eating everyting in sight, and whatever you want. Just eating an excess of calories to ensure growth.

You're always trying to ruin my fun.

muscleup
10-28-2005, 11:41 AM
Bulking doesn't mean just eating everyting in sight, and whatever you want.
I'll do whatever I want!
GOSH!!
Don't you know I'm training to be a cage fighter?! :D

ChrisC
10-29-2005, 09:54 AM
Ok thanks guys I just wanted to clear that up. Ill try to keep eating, Im naturally a pretty lean person so I dont really get fat. I've already put on 5-6 pounds of muscle with probably a tiny bit of fat.

IRN-BRU
11-01-2005, 12:56 PM
"They" say you can build around 1lb of muscle per week. That means if you try to bulk up at a rate of 3lb per week, around 2lb will be fat and 1lb will be muscle. If you bulk at 2lb per week, 1lb will be fat and 1lb will be muscle. Of course, this is theoretical, but imho it would look something like this:

Weight Gain. | Muscle | Fat (weekly)
0lb | 0.1 | -0.1
1lb | 0.7 | 0.3
2lb | 1.0 | 1.0
3lb | 1.0 | 2.0

You see, diminishing returns the faster you bulk. There will be an ideal rate to bulk for you personally, generally thought to be 1 or 2 lb per week, but everyone is different of course.

The point of bulking at all is.. if you notice the muscle gain when your weight gain is 0.0, it is very low. In this example, you gain muscle 7x quicker if you bulk.

Over 10 weeks
Weight Gain. | Muscle | Fat (total)
0lb | 1.0 | -1.0
1lb | 7.0 | 3.0
2lb | 10.0 | 10.0
3lb | 10.0 | 20.0

With 3 weeks cutting at 1lb per week the final totals are...
Weight Gain. | Muscle | Fat (total)
0lb | 0.5 | -3.0
1lb | 6.5 | 0.0
2lb | 9.0 | 7.0
3lb | 9.0 | 17.0

So in the long run (13 weeks isnt a long example), bulking at around 1lb weight gain per week (for this example person) has increased his lean muscle 6.5lb with no fat gain. If he has chosen to keep at the same weight (0lb gain per week), he would gain 0.5lb of muscle, and lost 3lb of fat.

I have too much spare time today, I'm gonna go eat something... :-)