PDA

View Full Version : percent of max for 8x3 on bench

RockerAlex
11-22-2005, 02:59 PM
ive been doing 8x3 sets on my heavy days for curls and had a good deal of success, so i tried an 8x3 bench workout at 185, which i figure is ~85% of my 210 max. i completed the workout with some deal of effort but only reached muscular failure on the last set second rep. but immediately following the completion of my workout i got a pretty bad pain in my shoulder (it didnt hurt during the workout), which my coach told me was from working out with too much weight. after icing it on/off for 3 hours it felt fine and still does now (8 hours later). i didnt think i was using too mcuh weight, but what percent of my max should i use for an 8x3 heavy workout on bench?

Pats Fan
11-22-2005, 03:05 PM
If you haven't tried this type of training before, I would start w/ 80%, and move up approx 2.5% each week. Also, I wouldn't suggest 8x3 for curls - it's a great set/rep protocol for compound movements, not so great for isolation movements, given all of the strain on a smaller muscle/# of muscles.

tigo
12-20-2005, 09:20 AM
80% is good.

KevinStarke
12-20-2005, 07:34 PM
If your gonna go heavy dont do 8 sets, thats overdoing it in my opinion. When I got heavy I go short and sweet. If you wanna do 8 sets do speed bench, its great for breaking sticking points and helping your all around bench, 8 sets of 3 at 60-65% of your max. Keep the reps controlled and make sure the weight your using is repped 3 times within 3 seconds or else lower the weight. Only rest 30 seconds between each set and make sure you stretch before and after, especially your rotator cuffs.

PowerManDL
12-23-2005, 07:02 PM
You shouldn't even be approaching failure on dynamic work.

Though to be honest, that's a moot point since you shouldn't be doing dynamic work if you only max at 210.

EDIT: I just noticed you weren't doing dynamic work per se. However, the point still stands that you shouldn't be approaching failure on that set/rep scheme.

You'd see a lot more benefit from increasing your reps a bit.

tigo
12-23-2005, 10:46 PM
ok im kinda confused now bro are you talking about 8 reps and 3 sets or 3 reps and 8 sets?
:windup: