PDA

View Full Version : Start up and it's ugly

BigOldDad
11-29-2005, 05:02 PM
Well here is what I have to work with. I know, I know, I need allot of help. 43 years old, 6'-0" - 230# but I am determined. I will post an update when it starts taking shape. My son tells me how fat I am. I told him to tell me it every day. I will use it as motivation.
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y7/iamthatiamgood/bodybeforeNovember28th2005004.jpg

getfit
11-29-2005, 05:04 PM
not bad at all, with diet and training on track everything will fall into place.

Good luck :)

jkirkpatrick
11-29-2005, 05:20 PM
I'm with GF; not that bad of a starting point. I see no reason why you won't achieve your goals, based on your present build.

dw06wu
11-29-2005, 06:21 PM
Visit our diet forum, lyles forum www.bodyrecomposition.com, and keep a journal. The pounds will fly off, good going.

russ
11-29-2005, 07:27 PM
yea you definitely have a great base to start with. are you going to use a routine to start working out with? If not I suggest using WBB#1 which is on the front, left hand side of this website under routines (www.wannabebig.com). Follow people's advice here and eat right and you'll whip into shape in no time. Can't wait to see results.

HelpMeLift
11-29-2005, 09:50 PM
not bad at all, with diet and training on track everything will fall into place.

Good luck :)

i also agree.

BigOldDad
11-30-2005, 05:34 AM
Wow, thanks to all of you. I thought I was a slob. Very encouraging. I started lifting on November 21st. I am doing Monday/Wednesday/Friday with Cardio/Treadmill on Tuesday/Thursday.

Routine- ( open for any suggestion )
I have no Dbs so I do everything with BB and curling bar.

Bench press-3x10
incline bench-3x10
sitting shoulder press-3x10
shrugs-3x10
standing rows-3x10
curls-3x10
leg curls-3xfailure
Finish with crunches-3xfailure

I want to start doing squats but I have two bad knees that I am unsure how they will support. I am currently looking for a weider smith pro 355 squat rack to see if this will help with the squats and my knees.

I walk for ten minutes on treadmill before I start, stretch then do one light set to warm up before I do my 3 sets. My diet has been as follows. 1 cup oatmeal for breakfast. banana or yogurt mid morning. Can of Pink Salmon or tuna for lunch. Protien bar in the afternoon before workout usually around 4:30 pm. Can of tuna after workout. Healthy supper with controled portion. Usually apple before bedtime. I have ordered the Muscle Milk supplement and should receive the shipment today. I will start on that before and after todays workout. I started a log on fitday. According to this I am way short of my daily requirements but I do not want to over eat. I drink a ton of water at least 1.5 to 2 gallons a day. One cup of coffee in the morning followed by one 24 oz diet coke, then water for the remainder of the day. Well that is about what I am doing daily since the 21st of November. I have actually lost 4 pounds since then. I weighed in this morning at 226.5. Any and all suggestions are welcomed and thanks for all the encouragement!!

Bohizzle
11-30-2005, 09:50 AM
I wouldn't go to failure on the leg curls, considering both of ur knees are bad, just leave a little bit left in the tank. Are the standing rows upright rows? or are they bent over rows?if they are upright rows, u should also look to incorporate bent over rows, and possibly a tbar row as well. Hope that helps.

Andrew

BigOldDad
11-30-2005, 11:25 AM
Yes, standing rows. I was seriuosly thinking about doing bent over rows. What are the TBar rows? I am not sure of that one. Anyway. I will start on the bent over rows and see how they work for me. Thanks for the input.

Bohizzle
11-30-2005, 11:59 AM
check out www.exrx.net for exercises, the tbar is there along with a little video and tips.. it's basically like a bo row, however, the bar is running through ur legs going from behind you to in front of you, and you are pulling the weight toward ur chest. hth.

Andrew

Canadian Crippler
11-30-2005, 12:04 PM
Try some:

Barbell Lunges
Squats
Front Squats
Stiff-Legged Deadlifts
Deadlifts

TOBART
11-30-2005, 12:20 PM
I agree with everyone, you have a good build to start with.

When you say leg curls, are you talking about seated legs curls or lying leg curls? Seated leg curls are going to be harder on your knees than squats. Personally, I find a smith machine to be painful on my knees. Free squatting with proper form should not cause any knee problems.

Take Canadian Crippler's advice and add more leg work into your routine, all the exercises he listed can be done with only a barbell; however, it would help to have a squat rack for both the squats listed.

BigOldDad
11-30-2005, 12:23 PM
Crippler - I know I have to get squats in my routine at some point. I wanted to start getting in a little shape first and then add them. I was hoping I could get a squat rack that slides up and down to kind of help with my knees. I will absolutely get them in at some point. Thanks for your advice!

BigOldDad
11-30-2005, 12:27 PM
I agree with everyone, you have a good build to start with.

When you say leg curls, are you talking about seated legs curls or lying leg curls? Seated leg curls are going to be harder on your knees than squats. Personally, I find a smith machine to be painful on my knees. Free squatting with proper form should not cause any knee problems.

Take Canadian Crippler's advice and add more leg work into your routine, all the exercises he listed can be done with only a barbell; however, it would help to have a squat rack for both the squats listed.

Wow really the smith machine is harder on the knees. Damn, i was hoping it would help me out a little. i will start with some light weight and get started also deadlift for my back. Like I said I only started a little over a week ago and with my heart in staying with it I wanted to build a little at a time. Thanks for all your input!

Built
11-30-2005, 01:15 PM
Take it from a fellow geezer - do NOT use a Smith machine for squats. Start light, work the HELL out of your form, go ALL the way down, and do good mornings to assist your form work for squats.

If I can squat more than I weigh, so can you. Eventually. It took me about a year to get there, starting with squatting 8-lb dumbbells.

Start squats LIGHT and SHORT. Like, 3 sets of 4 with just your BODY to see how they feel. Then start adding in the bar, then gradually load it up.

Do NOT neglect your leg work. Nothing will do more for your whole body than squats and deads.

jkirkpatrick
11-30-2005, 03:11 PM
I might be the most qualified guy on the Board when it comes to lower body joint issues and squatting - I agree, do only free weight squats; no Smith machine squats.

BigOldDad
11-30-2005, 04:36 PM
I believe No Smith. I decided to take the legs out of my workout tonight and decided to do legs on off days Tues/Thurs. Should I still do the 30 min treadmill and then do legs?

Squats
Deadlift

I will start as built said just no weight, bar, weighted after that. Squats I mean.

Deadlift I will feelout how much to start. I can actually say though that never have I have never done either only worked upper body!

Bohizzle
11-30-2005, 05:35 PM
well technically, deadlifting is for ur back, but u'll be using ur legs during it, check out that link i posted above for proper form.

Andrew

Built
11-30-2005, 05:44 PM
No cardio before weights.

Do it after, or on a separate day.

<or not at all. *cough* >

goodgrowin'
11-30-2005, 07:23 PM
I started at 51 yrs old. The advice above is great. My left knee used to give me trouble. But the muscle that grows from careful progressive free weight training concentrating on the basic compound lifts has really helped my knee. It took me long time to add deadlifts. I worked on my lower back with other excercises until I felt confident enough to try. Maybe I could have started them sooner. But I have no regrets and no injuries and am progressing nicely now. I think all young men over forty should be weightlifting.

Built
11-30-2005, 07:25 PM
And young women!

;)

Patz
11-30-2005, 08:27 PM
You look like you've lifted before..

BigOldDad
12-01-2005, 07:35 AM
You look like you've lifted before..
In 1999 I had a year long project out of state and stayed in a motel. I decided instead of being bored and lonely I would join a health club and stay occupied. I lifted and played basketball and really watched my diet closely. I got down to 208# I was really looking and feeling good. I don't know if I can get down to that weight again but I will try. The weight lifting I did at that point was kinda hide in a corner and don't let nobody see how weak I was. I have a different perspective on it this time. I am going to work to become one of those guys I was hiding from. I mentioned that I took up Motocross Racing this past year. You can't believe the workout you get from this sport. 6 lap races and when you were finished you were fully spent and soaking wet. I would consider this a workout. So I guess I did workout most of this past summer!

dw06wu
12-01-2005, 07:39 AM
You should buy some of Lyle's diet books. Maybe not to start them right away since they can be pretty advanced, but there is some really good physiology stuff in there.

Shao-LiN
12-01-2005, 11:22 AM
<or not at all. *cough* >

I vote for not at all!

I hate cardio. I throw a session in here and there, but eh.