PDA

View Full Version : Gaining mass way too fast

eps
01-06-2006, 08:18 PM
I know there is the danger of building up excessive fat if one bulks up way past his/her maintainance calories...

and I've heard some people say to aim for a gain of 2 lbs a week. For the sake of argument, let's say their dieting and training is on spot and they're natural. How much of that 2 lbs will be fat and muscle?

Is there be a greater ratio of muscle to overall mass if someone aims for 1 lb a week instead during a bulk? If there's a study of some sort related to this that would be cool to see.

Jorge Sanchez
01-06-2006, 08:41 PM
Fat to muscle gain ration depends on the individual. Intuitively I would think that (and it has been said before) that a slower bulk will result in a greater muscle:fat gain ratio, but I have no studies to back that up.

Personally, on my last bulk I gained 1.25lbs/week and very little of it was fat. This time around I'm aiming for about 2lbs/week.

smalls
01-06-2006, 08:48 PM
Depends on the individuals genetics, diet, training, and where they are in relation to their "setpoint" or "limit"or whatever.

If I where to gain 2lbs a week natty right now, I would guess it would be 90% fat. When I first started training I probably could have gained at around that rate and it possibly could have been 20% fat, if I had done everything right. Too many variables, just track things consistently.

muscleup
01-06-2006, 09:35 PM
When I first started, I was gaining about 2lbs per week sometimes. I have now backed off to about 1lb per week to try and minimize fat gains (if that's even possible).

g00dnick
01-06-2006, 09:37 PM
Just depends on the person...some put on fat much easier than others...unfortuntely i'm on of those...i was gaining on approx. a pound a week and put on quite a bit of fat..

gator
01-06-2006, 10:02 PM
I just started getting back into lifting 9 weeks ago. In those 9 weeks of bulking i've gained about 20lbs, which is a little over 2 lbs a week. However I just started taking creatine so I'm guessing some of that was water weight. I've put on some fat but I think my bodyfat percentage has actually dropped because of all the muscle I've gained during these 9 weeks.

eps
01-06-2006, 11:19 PM
Ah, so it's another one of those things I'm better off experimenting with and keeping track off to find the right rate of weight gain.

Cool, thanks

gator
01-06-2006, 11:49 PM
yep sure is man, everyone has different calorie needs. I've gained that 20lbs in 9 week by only taking in 3100 cals a day (i'm currently 190 btw). Everyone is different and it takes a while to really learn how many cals you need.