PDA

View Full Version : Lowering BMI while gaining muscle

eatit
01-08-2006, 08:35 PM
Hi, I'm new here but have really enjoyed using these forums over the past couple days to get all kinds of new information but there was one thing i couldn't quite figure out.

Is it possible to gain muscle and lose fat at the same time? Every time i research bulking diets they warn not to be discouraged by fat gains (as they are the price of bulking). But being an eighteen year old who has taken the long painful road from being a "pudgy porker" (as my brother used to call me) to muscled and somewhat defined i don't know if i'm willing to put up with any more fat than i absoluetly have to.

As of now i'm 188 pounds (jumped up three in a couple days due to water weight from creatine) and 6'2". An ideal body shape for me would be (as cliche as it may be) similar to brad pitt in fight club. And i was wondering if i could gain those last few pounds of muscle while shedding the last little bit of my childhood pudge?

My Diet as of now (for the past five days) has been:
In another day i'll be finished loading with the creatine and only have it once to twice a day. but the whey shakes will stay.

8:30 oatmeal w/ whey, creatine and a tablespoon of grape jam

9:00 work out (get huge)

10:30 whey shake with creatine mixed with a half container of so good soy milk (for the carbs and added protein)

12:00 bowl of stuff from "ginger pot" (they serve asian stir frys and what not (this is at my uni cafe)) with one serving tofu, one meat (usually chicken rarely the beef) and two servings vegtables (bok choi, broccolli, cauliflower, snow peas)

3:00 whey shake (same as the 10:30)

5:30 dinner usually chicken breast and salad.

bedtime: whey shake (same as the 10:30)

note: i take fish oil suppliments as well throughout the day. And probably have about 3-4 table spoons of honey in all the damn tea i drink out here.

Also: I lift four times a week.
Also Also: i kick box twice a week (training not cardio)
thanks!

ArchAngel777
01-08-2006, 09:03 PM
It can be done, but isn't a great method. The idea is that you would cycle between overeating and undereating every so often, week, month etc... However, that is not the best way to gain muscle. You would be better off bulking for a few months and then cutting for the next few and so on.

However, it seems everyone has their own diet plan, so I am sure others will have many more options for you. What you are asking is possible, but it will be very slow muscle gain if you do.

Good luck!

thajeepster
01-09-2006, 06:12 AM
you could try slowly adding muscle while maintaining your current amount of fat. That would lower your bf% and bmi. As archangel said its hard to lose and gain without cycling... which can become complicated for a newbie (pardon the wording here :D) ... just clean up your diet, lift hard and do cardio at just slightly above maintenance calories (200-300 cal). If your new to training your body will soak up every last bit of stimulus you give it.

eatit
01-09-2006, 04:22 PM
to my pleasent suprise when i watched fightclub last night (i was inspired after this post) i noticed i'm already larger all around than brad pitt in that movie.

New Goal Body: Mark Walhberg back in his marky mark days

WBBIRL
01-09-2006, 06:13 PM
Well at 6 ft 2 inches tall you can probably pack atleast 250LBS of good mass on that body. I dont think it would be all that hard to hit 250 at 10% with your height.

You could do this one of two ways. I perfer one to the other and Ill tell you why afterwards.

1. Bulk up (as cleanly as possible) about 80 pounds over a year or year and a half. Then cut 20-30 lbs and re evaluate your body compisition.

2. Cut until your desired body weight/ BF% and then bulk as cleanly as possible until you reach the desired size. You may need to do a small cut at the end of this.

I like the 1st way better because you dont have 3 phases... only 2. But to answer the question, you CAN add lean mass while maintaing or even loseing body fat. But while you CAN, its very very hard to do. It would make your life alot easier to sepearate the two cycles.

Just make sure your getting 1 - 1.5 gallongs of water per day. While bulking I would eat 1.5 g of protein per pound of desired body weight. While maintaining or cutting I would stick to 1g per LB of body weight.

eatit
01-11-2006, 10:06 AM
Thanks for all the advice. I think i'm going to go for the first and more difficult for two reasons.

First and most importantly i don't think i ever want to be pudgy again (even if i have sizable muscle underneath). It's just not really an option for me and it's not very far off from beach season.

Second there's an amerature kickboxing competition that i think i'm going to compete in in march and if i shed this fat it'll bump me down at least a weight class or two which is usually an advantage.

wish me luck

MixmasterNash
01-11-2006, 10:22 AM
If you gain muscle, you will increase BMI. Body MASS Index.

BMI is a useless measure for anyone with muscle and below 15-20%bf.

eatit
01-11-2006, 01:38 PM
oh, didn't know.

I've only gotten into the technical side of lifting recently before i was just doing it because it seemed like the thing to do (for sports and what not).

It's frustrating looking back on all the hours spent in the gym that were wasted due to lack of knowledge and technique.

brickt.
01-11-2006, 04:09 PM
Man, **** the BMI. It is for ordinary people, and last time I checked, Bodybuilding isn't ordinary. For instance, alot of people on this forum would be classified, according to the BMI, as obese, with sub-15% bodyfat. Yeah, right.

Silverback
01-12-2006, 04:49 AM
If you gain muscle, you will increase BMI. Body MASS Index.

BMI is a useless measure for anyone with muscle and below 15-20%bf.

amen, BMI doesnt take people who train into account. id be morbidly obese if it were true! :D

FiRe
01-12-2006, 07:42 PM
i'm so confused so if i try to bulk up, my body fat percentage will go up too!?!??!!?!!

brickt.
01-12-2006, 08:18 PM
Unless your on AAS, a genetic freak, or a new lifter, yeah, you'll prolly add some fat with the muscle, but with a good diet you can minimise the fat gain.

FiRe
01-12-2006, 08:33 PM
well I understand that you can gain more fat but you are also gaining weight in muscle so what I am trying to ask is whether the body fat PERCENTAGE would increase.

Silverback
01-13-2006, 02:17 AM
well I understand that you can gain more fat but you are also gaining weight in muscle so what I am trying to ask is whether the body fat PERCENTAGE would increase.

More than likely your body fat percentage will increase, but you can minimalise the rate. What you want to aim for is a ratio of roughly 2/3 lbs of muscle: 1lb of fat gained.

Just try to gain as much strength as possible, eating over maintenance, id reccomend doing some cardio as well for health reasons and keeping tabs on body fat.

BigOldDad
01-13-2006, 05:53 AM
Wow after reading this thread I am thoroughly confused. I thought you could lose BF and gain muscle at the same time. In fact I am pretty sure that is what I am doing. I started at 230# and now only at 227# but noticable difference in my BF%( at least to me ). If I read this correctly ( I am trying to cut ) Should I only work on my diet and not workout? Furthermore after reading all through the utritional threads. I have serious work to do on my nutritional intake. I am not sure if I am learning more everyday or becoming more confused everyday.