PDA

View Full Version : Protein and calcium

Monkeybrains
01-12-2002, 06:41 PM
I've been reading an article on a medical site that says high protein diets cause the calcium be sucked out of your bones (causing brittle bones and such..), what do you lot think?

TreeTrunks
01-12-2002, 07:46 PM
The world is flat!

body
01-13-2002, 03:23 AM
my diet is high in protein, but lots of it comes from milk so i get to much calcuim anyway.
weight training is good for the bones and decrease calcuim leaching.
most people supp with mineral tablets so are unlikely to be defficent in calcuim anyway.

Wizard
01-13-2002, 03:45 AM
That's right monkeybrains.Your calcium intake should be up to 1500mg of calcium/day if you're on a high protein diet.(up to 30%)

The_Chicken_Daddy
01-13-2002, 05:45 AM
I agree with Wizard, but you do know that studies indicating that protein sucked calcium out of bones was done with 500g protein.

Unless you're the size of Ronnie coleman you're not gonna need 500g protein. But still, best to be totally sure. You don't need to buy extra calcium supps btw, just eat more broccoli - you'll also get the added benefit of roughage and fibre. Now i know that broccoli only has about 50mg calcium for every 100g, but if you're munching down say 200g broccoli on top of your multivit [which will prolly have at least 800mg as according to the RDA] you'll prolly be getting enough considering the amount of protein you're ingesting. Also, if you're drinking milk for cals and protein you'll be getting even extra [something like 160mg for every pint - something like that anyway...]

body
01-13-2002, 06:19 AM
excess calcuim can be bad, but this more often to do with excess vitmain D.
if worried have some diary products.
BTW - food high in fibre are often high in phytates that bind to caluim and decrease absorption as well. thats why even though white bread is fortified (the law in the UK) with calcuim due to lower calcuim levels its probably more prudent of the bread companies to fortify wholemeal bread with calcuim.

The_Chicken_Daddy
01-13-2002, 06:28 AM
the governments usually make the water companies fortify water with all sorts of minerals too.

body
01-13-2002, 06:37 AM
Originally posted by The_Chicken_Daddy
the governments usually make the water companies fortify water with all sorts of minerals too.

usually florine, but this is up to the individual water company and not the government. though some adults complain as they do not want it, in there water.
As for caluim this often depends where you are in the country. with some areas of the UK (do not know about the rest of the world) having more hard water than other.
hard water - good for calcuim, bad for washing the dishes.
soft water - bad for calcuim, good for washing the disehes.

BTW the hardness of the water is ment to be the reason why Guniness taste better in Dublin than it does in the UK!

Shocker
01-15-2002, 11:52 PM
Originally posted by The_Chicken_Daddy
like Prozac

The_Chicken_Daddy
01-16-2002, 10:37 AM
I'm currently working for a government agency and i'm sure they're spiking the water with something. Making me stupid...er...

Doesn't stop me drinking it though haha...

Marcel
01-16-2002, 11:04 AM
So how much Calcium should an 18 year old supplement with? I don't eat broccoli cuz its just nasty but I get my roughage from romaine lettuce. Right now I supplement with 2 grams everyday. I believe I'm not done growing.:cool:

The_Chicken_Daddy
01-16-2002, 11:06 AM
that is more than enough Marcel.

Wizard
01-16-2002, 11:14 AM
I have 3 g per day.It's more than ok I think.

Marcel
01-16-2002, 11:18 AM
Chigs - Yea 2 grams sounds ace to me.

Estrella - 2-3 grams cool.
:D