PDA

View Full Version : how much muscle can one build in one year...

WildCard
02-25-2006, 10:47 PM
without increasing bodyfat percentage?

I have read hypotheses that conclude that one can only build max 10 lbs of muscle per year regardless of diet, but I was wondering how much can be built if one is INTENT on keeping bodyfat percentage constant.

and how many calories over maintenance would one have to eat to do this?

dtshen
02-25-2006, 11:08 PM
its been almost exactly a year since i started working out seriously,

and i went from 185-225.

i'm sure more than 10 lbs of it is muscle.

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
02-25-2006, 11:12 PM
It's completely dependent on the person, how much they work out, how long they're bulking, what they eat, etc.. There's no number that applies to everyone.

Optimum08
02-25-2006, 11:12 PM
It's completely dependent on the person, how much they work out, how long they're bulking, what they eat, etc.. There's no number that applies to everyone.

:withstupi

WildCard
02-26-2006, 12:23 AM
its been almost exactly a year since i started working out seriously,

and i went from 185-225.

i'm sure more than 10 lbs of it is muscle.

how are you sure?

Roddy
02-26-2006, 01:11 AM
It does depend on the person. i went from 138 to 185 in about 14months.
My body fat went up 3%. My chest grew from 39 to 46.5 inches. arms from 11.75" to 16.25".

I built a solid physique in my opinon. the numbers on the weigh scale dont mean much.

Worry more about how you want to build your body, and find a good route to do it (routine, diet, rest ect)

Fenrir
02-26-2006, 02:22 AM
i put on 10kg in around a year simply through lifting and fairly clean diet, but never really bulking, also through just simply natural growth.

Franco
02-26-2006, 04:34 AM
There are many variables that come into the equations as already mentioned.

How long have you been training?

Fenrir
02-26-2006, 05:16 AM
If you are new then newbie gains will come faster, but if you are more experienced and have been working at it longer then the gains will probably have slowed down...

WildCard
02-26-2006, 12:26 PM
There are many variables that come into the equations as already mentioned.

How long have you been training?
I've been training about two months. I know that there are newbie gains, but I want to know if it is even possible to gain muscle without increasing bodyfat %.

Pretty simple question really. Then, if it IS possible to gain muscle without increasing faT % then I would like to know the theoretical limit(without steroids) so that I can potentially design a diet around that limit.

ddegroff
02-26-2006, 12:42 PM
when your bulking your eating much more calories than your body is burning. Some of these calories will be stored as fat. How can you figure out how to limit this? gain 1-2lbs per week, eating just enough to gain weight but not much fat. Like others have said its very individual. I would say start with adding 500 cals, if you gain just a little bit of weight in a couple weeks, add a few more cals. And continue to adjust gradually. This what we call a "slow bulk". How much weight you gain has a lot to do with your starting bf%. If its low then you can gain a lot of weight and still look lean.

Hopes this answered your question.

eatit
02-26-2006, 02:17 PM
how are you sure?

for every pound gained at least 25% is LBM.

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
02-26-2006, 02:38 PM
for every pound gained at least 25% is LBM.I'm not sure about that, but who knows?

Rex
02-26-2006, 02:42 PM

You pulled that fact right out of your ass, didn't you?

Beast
02-26-2006, 04:00 PM
I'd love to hear the physiology behind this statement.

Jorge Sanchez
02-26-2006, 04:13 PM
Don't worry too much about putting fat on. If your routine is on point and you are eating clean the fat gain should be minimal. It will vary from person to person obviously, but if you feel like you're gaining fat too quickly just lower your cals a bit.

If you limit your weight gain to 1-2lbs/month I would think that it would be almost entirely lbm. But personally, I would just go on a quicker bulk and drop the fat afterwards.

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
02-26-2006, 04:39 PM
I'd love to hear the physiology behind this statement.Me too. *raises hand*

thajeepster
02-26-2006, 09:34 PM
Ive been working out for years but just recently (8-10 months) started to actually "bulk" and ive shot up from 145 to 175 with a 2-3% bf increase (11/12 to 13/14) ... I'd say 20-30 lbs is completely obtainable (lean mass), but im pretty sure that once you hit a certain size (depends on individuals genetics etc) it gets much harder to add on quality size.

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
02-26-2006, 09:49 PM
but im pretty sure that once you hit a certain size (depends on individuals genetics etc) it gets much harder to add on quality size.Which is when people start resorting to "other" methods.

brickt.
02-26-2006, 10:13 PM
...and by other, you mean, cheesecake... right? guys?

Optimum08
02-26-2006, 10:50 PM
mmm cheesecake :drooling:

thajeepster
02-27-2006, 06:57 AM
Which is when people start resorting to "other" methods.

:D yep lol. Fortunately, ive still got a good 30-40lbs to gain the "cheaper" way (food) ;)

Davidelmo
02-27-2006, 12:34 PM

lol

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
02-27-2006, 05:52 PM
...and by other, you mean, cheesecake... right? guys?Of course. ;)

eatit
02-27-2006, 08:38 PM
Based off of a joke by Lyle Mcdonald:

How to win the Olympia withotu training
1. Acknowledging that, of toatl weight gain, approximately 1/3rd will be LBM no matter what you do, bulk to approximateily 900 lbs. this should give you 300 lbs of ripped lean muscle mass

2. Diet down progressively to contest shape, losing no muscle.

3. Win Olympia at a ripped 300 lbs.

Lyle

SpecialK
02-27-2006, 08:49 PM
Based off of a joke by Lyle Mcdonald:

Quote:
How to win the Olympia withotu training
1. Acknowledging that, of toatl weight gain, approximately 1/3rd will be LBM no matter what you do, bulk to approximateily 900 lbs. this should give you 300 lbs of ripped lean muscle mass

2. Diet down progressively to contest shape, losing no muscle.

3. Win Olympia at a ripped 300 lbs.

Lyle

lol, if only it were that easy...

Built
02-27-2006, 08:50 PM
Hey, it works for calves...

McIrish
02-28-2006, 12:17 PM
oh gosh, a kid in my class showed me a picture online of someone who was somewhere in the alleged vicinity of 1,100 lbs (and let's just say a good portion of that was *NOT* lbm) who travelled in circuses as a sort of "freak show"... gosh that was a disturbing photo.

Jorge Sanchez
02-28-2006, 12:39 PM
I would think at that weight someone would actually have very little muscle or strength. When you`re that fat you can`t really move, so I assume your muscles would just atrophy from lack of use.

eatit
02-28-2006, 12:49 PM
I would think at that weight someone would actually have very little muscle or strength. When you`re that fat you can`t really move, so I assume your muscles would just atrophy from lack of use.

Nah dude, they're lifting huge and for reps! Think about the ammount they curl just brining those cheetos from the bowl to their face. It's a champion routine! :rolleyes:

WildCard
02-28-2006, 01:05 PM
Nah dude, they're lifting huge and for reps! Think about the ammount they curl just brining those cheetos from the bowl to their face. It's a champion routine! :rolleyes:

LMAO

Titanium_Jim
02-28-2006, 01:12 PM
I've been training about two months. I know that there are newbie gains, but I want to know if it is even possible to gain muscle without increasing bodyfat %.

Pretty simple question really. Then, if it IS possible to gain muscle without increasing faT % then I would like to know the theoretical limit(without steroids) so that I can potentially design a diet around that limit.
Having had some closely related experience, I can tell you it's not worth it to try to gain no fat at all. You're WAY better off just getting bigger and then cutting when you're as big as you want to be. You could even go on a clean bulk that is maybe 300-500 calories over maintenance.

As for your original question, the first 3 years I got into exercising, because of lack of training knowledge and proper diet, with my fast metabolism, I basically very, very slowly bulked and cut at the same time for 3 years. My weight stayed exactly the same, but I gained overall musculature and leaned my fat down a bit. I looked completely different, but still small and I weighed the same. I wish I had known then what I know now. I would have liked another 25lbs of lbm.

Davidelmo
02-28-2006, 05:37 PM
Yeah, big does NOT equal strong.

I know some a fat guy (round about 260lbs) who is really weak. He has really strong legs but for everything else he's horribly weak. Shoulder press, deadlift etc are feeble.

WildCard
02-28-2006, 06:10 PM
Yeah, big does NOT equal strong.

I know some a fat guy (round about 260lbs) who is really weak. He has really strong legs but for everything else he's horribly weak. Shoulder press, deadlift etc are feeble.

you are probably talking about me. Im 250 but my lifts are WEAK. 185 squat and 250 deadlift. pretty bad but I'm getting there. lol

Clifford Gillmore
03-02-2006, 03:58 AM
...and by other, you mean, cheesecake... right? guys?

Have you seen my cheesecake then eh? Its only got, 3g of test per serve :)

teenathlete3030
03-04-2006, 08:33 PM
I agree with Davidelmo, there's a guy on my bball team who weighs about 200 pounds but I can bench more than him. I don't bench all that much.

teenathlete3030
03-04-2006, 08:48 PM
Ok, so there's just about 8 months until the season starts. I want to bulk as much as I can, and then cut before the season starts. I still want to look good during the summer, so should I bulk and cut once I get over 15%bf? Or should I just make one big long bulk and then calculate when I need to start cutting to get to 10%bf by the time the season starts. I'd like to be around 10% to maximize my speed and jumping ability. It's easier for legs to lift a lean body off the ground than a fat body. Allen Iverson is 6' and weighs 175lb. Anyone who has seen him knows that he has very little body fat. The same is true with a lot of bball players. I've done a lot of research on this site and others. One thread says that you can gain 15 pounds a month. I'm not sure about this as with a lot of other posters were. Would 10 pounds a month be unrealistic for a 5'11" frame? It seems like on a lot of people's signatures they only gain maybe 4 to 8 pounds a month. I would of course eat 500 calories a day more than I burn and lift a lot with rest. I will watch what kind of calories I'm getting, too. (All on Fitday). If I did gain 10 pounds a month how much of it would be fat? (That would put me at 180 in July, plenty of time left for a cut) I know, I know, there's too many variables to say exactly. I'm just looking for a little confidence booster.

Clifford Gillmore
03-05-2006, 03:45 AM
For a start, 10-15lbs a month is amazing feat. If you were a newbie lifter its completely plausable, if in not - very difficult. Just think, I could be 300lbs in a year and a half....

teenathlete3030
03-06-2006, 06:01 PM
If I get up to say 175 pounds (35 pound gain), how much of that weight would be fat? In other words, what's the muscle to fat ratio in weight gained after a 500 calorie above maintenence bulk? (For most people, I know it probably varies.) The reason I ask is because then I can calculate when I needed to stop bulking and begin cutting to reach 10% bf with my stronger body at bball tryouts.