PDA

View Full Version : Rack Pulls

deeder
03-05-2006, 05:35 PM
Two Questions:
1. Since I am squatting already would it be ok to do rack pulls instead of off the ground deadlifts? I guess what I'm asking is would the weight I would be able to move for a deadlift suffer from this? I don't compete for powerlifting but would like to get into it in the future.

2. How high do you guys have the bar when doing rack pulls? I put it at about knee height. Should I go higher/lower/stay the same?

Built
03-05-2006, 05:50 PM
I do two different types of deadlift - RDLs, on hamstring day, and rack pulls, on one of my back days.

All deads are posterior chain exercises - it's just a question of focus. I feel RDLs more in my hams, and racks more in my mid-upper back. But I feel the whole posterior chain getting activated for both.

I keep the pins at just above knee height for racks.

Optimum08
03-05-2006, 06:00 PM
I do rack pulls instead of full ROM deads because full ROM deads are so taxing on the CNS and taxing overall..doing rack pulls if anything should assist in the weight you are doing and i keep the racks at just about knee height.

drew
03-05-2006, 08:19 PM
Rack puls are easier on the body. Full ROM deads are going to kick your ass. I like to do them every 3-4 weeks, but it kills me. I only do it because it makes my dead go up.

Optimum08
03-05-2006, 09:12 PM
i got my answer from drew.

deeder
03-05-2006, 11:38 PM
Thanks for all the answers folks! I think I will keep doing rackpulls and as drew said every 3-4 weeks do full ROM deads.

Built
03-05-2006, 11:41 PM
I actually like that idea, too.

drew
03-06-2006, 07:08 AM
Thanks for all the answers folks! I think I will keep doing rackpulls and as drew said every 3-4 weeks do full ROM deads.
Don't get confused by what I said. I do these because they work for me. If the full ROM deads kill you, don't do them as often. If you're built to dead (long arms, short torso) then they probably won't bother you much. Just pay attention to your body.

Sensei
03-06-2006, 02:19 PM
Two Questions:
1. Since I am squatting already would it be ok to do rack pulls instead of off the ground deadlifts? I guess what I'm asking is would the weight I would be able to move for a deadlift suffer from this? I don't compete for powerlifting but would like to get into it in the future.It depends on where you set the rack and where you are weak. Rack pulls from knee level or above just don't have much carry-over to regular DLs for me - if anything, I suppose they might help my squat a little...

2. How high do you guys have the bar when doing rack pulls? I put it at about knee height. Should I go higher/lower/stay the same?If I want it to help my DL at all, it needs to be below the knee, but it will be an individual thing. There is a tendency to "squat" the weight up more the higher the bar starts. Try to maintain a regular DL bar path during your rack pulls if you want there to be as much carry-over as possible.