PDA

View Full Version : Chocolate Milk After a Workout

RMorris78
03-07-2006, 08:49 PM
One of my strength and conditioning coaches says that chocolate milk is the best post workout drink that you can take.

is this true? what are your thoughts?

cphafner
03-07-2006, 08:56 PM
no. simple carbs plus whey

brickt.
03-07-2006, 09:13 PM
Chocolate milk after workout is sub-optimal, at best, but hey, I've got a better vesion for ya that could be considered option.

Get a good tasting chocolate whey. I know ON's choc whey is awesome.
Add some dextrose/maltodextrin.
500ml Skim Milk (optional)

That will taste BETTER than choc milk, IMHO.

AzBboy
03-07-2006, 10:59 PM
Milk has fat. Fat slows absorption. Body is depleted. Needs nutrients NOW, sooner the better. Whey in water w/ sugar.

Spartacus
03-07-2006, 11:57 PM
no its just as good as all that dork stuff.

brickt.
03-08-2006, 12:18 AM
Milk has fat. Fat slows absorption. Body is depleted. Needs nutrients NOW, sooner the better. Whey in water w/ sugar.

Hence, Skim Milk.

Also, fast sugars + whey is not the only option for PWO food. I've done and am currently doing a whole, balanced meal.

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
03-08-2006, 01:13 AM
^^

:withstupi

smalls
03-08-2006, 01:36 AM
dextrose+whey is probably going to be a lot cheaper than chocolate milk. I've done the chocolate milk thing in a pinch but wouldnt use it as a staple.

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
03-08-2006, 01:39 AM
But it's sooo good!

*goes and makes a glass of chocolate milk*

Beholder
03-08-2006, 01:50 AM
How much dextrose yall mix with your PWO? Ive been doing about a tbsp...that enough or more? :D

TheGimp
03-08-2006, 05:32 AM
1. The casein content of the milk will form a clot in the stomach and digest slowly over a period of around 7 hours

2. The galactose that makes up half of the disaccharidal lactose content preferentially refills hepatic rather than muscle glycogen

Thus we conclude that chocolate milk is a poor post workout choice.

RMorris78
03-08-2006, 06:27 AM
sweet, didnt think that sounded right

i know what whey is, but what is dextrose/maltodexterin?

TheGimp
03-08-2006, 07:05 AM
How much dextrose yall mix with your PWO? Ive been doing about a tbsp...that enough or more? :D

A tbsp? How much is that, 15g or so? Recommendations will vary I am sure but I think they'd probably start at a ratio of at least 1:1 of carbs : protein if not 2:1 or more.

i know what whey is, but what is dextrose/maltodexterin

Dextrose and maltodextrin are both types of sugar. Dextrose is a simple sugar that digests very rapidly making it ideal for postworkout. Maltodextrin is technically a complex carb but in reality also digests quickly and has the advantage over dextrose that it does not taste as sweet. A large postworkout shake with all of the carbs coming from dextrose can be overpoweringly sweet, so a mix of dextrose and maltodextrin can be used instead.

jkirkpatrick
03-08-2006, 07:40 AM
Bad idea for all the reasons above.

I use dextrose and whey in a 2:1 ratio. The dextrose was $10 for a 5kg bag (maybe around 8lbs?) from a local do it yourself wine and brewing store.

TechMetalMan
03-08-2006, 08:58 AM
So milk is bad for post workout?

I usually do milk/whey shake and then 20-30minutes later eat a high protein meal with some veggies and whole wheat bread. Should I just cut the shake and go straight to the meal (usually skinless chicken breast, broccolli and two slices of bread).

What is dextrose and what does it do for you in a shake?

ddegroff
03-08-2006, 10:45 AM
^^^^ read post #13 that will answer you question about dex.
Milk takes a while to digest, so like the others said you should do whey/dex after then follow it with a meal.

TechMetalMan
03-08-2006, 01:30 PM
Thanks- so dextrose is a sugar liquid?

Where would you get this?

ddegroff
03-08-2006, 02:37 PM
Dex (http://www.global-nutrition-inc.com/nf-114.html)
never bought it but i think i got the link from Built a while ago

jkirkpatrick
03-08-2006, 03:22 PM
Thanks- so dextrose is a sugar liquid?

Where would you get this?

Re-read my post.

TechMetalMan
03-08-2006, 04:54 PM
Im not sure where a do it yourself wine/brewery store is and I am not 21. I just turned 18. Liquor stores in my area require you to be 21 to enter.

So i see it is a solid- so do you mix this with your protein powder and water or is there a liquid dex?

Metro
03-08-2006, 09:24 PM
Forgive my lack of source citation...I wanna say Men's Health.

I remember reading something about studies that showed a balance of fast acting protein (whey) and slow acting (milk) proved to be as equally effective in quickly restoring muscle.

I asked the same Q a while back, and got my answer. I really didnt want the fat from the chocolate milk slowing the absorption process...so I went with the skim milk/whey/dex combo to be the most effective.

If your ever in a jam though, it's not gonna kill you to slam down some coco milk...just not your #1 overall value in the big picture....but valuable.

Spartacus
03-08-2006, 10:41 PM
1. The casein content of the milk will form a clot in the stomach and digest slowly over a period of around 7 hours

2. The galactose that makes up half of the disaccharidal lactose content preferentially refills hepatic rather than muscle glycogen

Thus we conclude that chocolate milk is a poor post workout choice.

you're overthinking this.

TheGimp
03-08-2006, 11:30 PM
you're overthinking this.

By drawing a conclusion based on scientific fact?

Slim Schaedle
03-09-2006, 12:10 AM
By drawing a conclusion based on scientific fact?
Yeah really. How is thinking on scientific terms a bad thing? How else would we ever come up with "optimal" strategies?

Spartacus
03-09-2006, 10:00 PM
its not any more optimal.

you're assuming that your 'post workout' drink is the only thing being consumed within 6 hours of the workout, and in a very limited amount.

Slim Schaedle
03-09-2006, 10:39 PM
its not any more optimal.

you're assuming that your 'post workout' drink is the only thing being consumed within 6 hours of the workout, and in a very limited amount.
I have no idea what you are talking about. Where did I make an assumption?

You seemingly criticized Gimp for posting some useful information on food chemistry and I backed him up.

If no one analzyed the chemistry, etc. etc. of food, where would we be?

Now that I am involved in the specific topic at hand...........

you don't see it "optimal" to increase muscle glycogen stores, as opposed to hepatic after a workout, regardless of what is eaten before or after a workout??

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
03-09-2006, 11:27 PM
I must agree with science on this. ;)

Slim Schaedle
03-10-2006, 12:05 AM
I must agree with science on this. ;)
Sighense Roolzzz

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
03-10-2006, 12:08 AM
YeSs eet dooz.

jkirkpatrick
03-10-2006, 07:39 AM
Im not sure where a do it yourself wine/brewery store is and I am not 21. I just turned 18. Liquor stores in my area require you to be 21 to enter.

So i see it is a solid- so do you mix this with your protein powder and water or is there a liquid dex?

Sorry, guy. I keep forgetting that 18 isnt' legal age like it is up here. Look up the DIY in the yellowpages and get your mom/dad/friend to pick it up.

It basically looks and tastes like icing sugar powder.

jkirkpatrick
03-10-2006, 07:39 AM
double post....

jkirkpatrick
03-10-2006, 07:41 AM
triple post...friggin' board is sloooooooow

TheGimp
03-10-2006, 08:23 AM

My points still stand regardless of the effect on gastric emptying the particular contents of one's stomach has on the digestion of the post workout meal.