PDA

View Full Version : Too much protien?

jock
01-15-2002, 08:40 AM
I've just been reading a web site where one health 'expert' said that eating too much protien can damage the kidneys. Is this expert full of **** or is there some truth to this?

syntekz
01-15-2002, 09:08 AM
Most likely full of shxt. But, how much did he say is too much?

Paul Stagg
01-15-2002, 09:34 AM
There is not an amount that is 'too much'.

All of the studies done on this were on rats, or on people who had kidney problems to begin with - I'm not aware of any studies on healthy people showing a 'limit' on protein consumption.

Some of these 'experts' would do far more good if they focused on the number of CALORIES their obese patients are eating.

hemants
01-15-2002, 09:56 AM
My brother in law is a Urologist and when I posed the question to him, his answer was as follows (paraphrasing):

Protein to the kidneys is like exercise to the heart. If your kidneys are normal and healthy then you can eat as much as you want. If you have a kidney problem then excess protein will tax the kidney as exercise taxes an unhealthy heart.

Unlike the heart, however, excess protein doesn't make a healthy kidney stronger as exercise does for the heart.

Hope this clears up any misconceptions.

That being said, eating more protein than your body needs is an expensive way to add glucose to your body.

gymtime
01-15-2002, 10:37 AM
hemants - I'd be curious to see what your brother in law says about the effect on the liver, if any.

syntekz
01-15-2002, 10:56 AM
From articles that I've read on the issue. Like previously stated; in all healthy persons there has been no evidence that too much protein is harmful.

hemants
01-15-2002, 11:33 AM
I think what Syntekz said is correct but I'll ask my bro in law.

The issues of excess protein as far as I know have more to do with the effects of excess of protein by products in the system (gout, kidney stones etc).

On the other hand, I have never seen a study that would indicate that you need any more protein than 0.8g per pound of lean body mass.

There are studies on pigs that suggest that excess protein consumption results in an enlargement of the kidney and liver which raises your bodies protein requirements and thereby makes less protein available for muscle building. I'll try and find the citation.

Wizard
01-15-2002, 12:12 PM
Originally posted by hemants

That being said, eating more protein than your body needs is an expensive way to add glucose to your body.

Word

It's also a way to activate glucagon and eliminate insulin secretion.

hemants
01-15-2002, 12:28 PM
Hmmm, According to this citation (dunno if it is accurate or not) in the presence of amino acids in the bloodstream, both insulin and glucagon secretion are stimulated?

http://arbl.cvmbs.colostate.edu/hbooks/pathphys/endocrine/pancreas/glucagon.html

Another source (again, unknown reliability) saying the same thing

http://www.teaching-biomed.man.ac.uk/student_projects/2000/mnby7lc2/aminoacid.htm#bothhormones

Wizard
01-15-2002, 12:47 PM
That's right.You want to create a balance between the two hormones.

the_hall
01-15-2002, 08:48 PM
I am not an expert by any means, but what is more important, looking good while you are 20-40, or being alive when you are 90?

I dont care if i die from kidney failure when I am 80 years old, bieng 80 sucks anyway. But what is important to me is looking good right now.

IMO eating 300g of proten is worth the risk (assuming there is even a risk).

the doc
01-15-2002, 08:55 PM
well 300 g is expensive. Also, there is no real limit to protein intake as has been mentioned, but if you check that insulin index you'll see that sh!t like beef,fish, and yougurt stimulates as much insulin as many starches. This would not be a good idea whilst cutting (ie eating more than 60g/meal protein) correct?

the_hall
01-15-2002, 09:02 PM
Whilst cutting, cant getting ALOt of proten be a good thing? It would give you the needed cals, without needing as many carbs and fat wouldnt it? I heard that it is hard for protien to be broken down and stored as fat.

Wizard
01-16-2002, 04:26 AM
the doc:correct.That's why we add some really nice fat to our meals :D

the doc
01-16-2002, 06:30 AM
copy that wiz ;)