PDA

View Full Version : Water Polo

arya202
05-10-2006, 04:30 PM
Not much of a swimmer infact haven't in a year probably. But I'm getting into water polo because it looks fun and my friends are doing it. Anyone ever done it before and know what exercises I should do so I can do egg beaters and shoot the ball easily? I'm also guessing cardio is really important too but I haven't done that alot recently either.

Anyway anyone have any tips or anything like that?

BigRic
05-10-2006, 08:45 PM
Start practicing tredding water. most the game you'll be tredding water and you have to be strong doing it so people can't pull you under so I'd say it's probably the first and most important thing to work on.

mikey4402
05-10-2006, 09:17 PM
i have always wondered how deep of water they play in, well how deep of water do you play in?

BigRic
05-10-2006, 09:55 PM
I wanna say 9 or 8 feet. but i've never played before.

BigRic
05-10-2006, 10:01 PM
I was wrong

http://www.fina.org/rules/FR/rules_fr7.htm

thats 6 feet to 6'8" feet.

Sensei
05-11-2006, 06:46 AM
You need to spend A LOT of time in the water.

For your dry-land training, if you want more exercises I would consider high rep squats, lunges, side lunges, rotational ab exercises, obliques, rotator cuff work.

ericg
05-11-2006, 09:39 AM
I hear and imagine that it is one tough sport. Good luck with it.

1r15h
05-11-2006, 12:23 PM
Hey dude, I used to play waterpolo for my national team for a good number of years, also played in quite a few countries around europe.
I think the best thing for you to do apart from the obvious swimming is as someone said to practice your legs. treading water exercises, doing laps with the board just with legs before you try any vertical jumps would maybe be an idea. As for the shooting it will come with time but its an idea to promote flexibility in your shoulder, though as you'll find out shooting involves legs,body shoulders arms, sorta like a baseball pitch in water.
Anyways man I hope ya enjoy the sport, take it easy.

arya202
05-11-2006, 05:31 PM
You need to spend A LOT of time in the water.

For your dry-land training, if you want more exercises I would consider high rep squats, lunges, side lunges, rotational ab exercises, obliques, rotator cuff work.

Do you think plyometrics will help me out I'm doing WBB1 now and during the summer I'm gonna replace everyother leg day with plyometrics.

Sensei
05-13-2006, 06:30 AM
I think plyos are fine, but like I said, really limit yourself with them - it's pretty easy to go overboard on plyos.

If you want to be good at egg-beaters, you need to do egg-beaters A LOT. Add resistance when appropriate. Swimming, throwing, starting, stopping, changing directions in the water - work on all of it. I know you're asking about dry-land work, but the work in the water will be all-important if you were serious when you said you weren't much of a swimmer...

arya202
05-13-2006, 12:46 PM
I think plyos are fine, but like I said, really limit yourself with them - it's pretty easy to go overboard on plyos.

If you want to be good at egg-beaters, you need to do egg-beaters A LOT. Add resistance when appropriate. Swimming, throwing, starting, stopping, changing directions in the water - work on all of it. I know you're asking about dry-land work, but the work in the water will be all-important if you were serious when you said you weren't much of a swimmer...

Alright man, good advice.

Any drills or anything you would recommend? I tried egg beaters the other day at the gym and couldn't do it with my hands up, but my freestyle wasn't that bad.

arya202
05-15-2006, 05:49 PM
Wow my first day was a pretty big kick in the butt!

First they did weight lifting but I wasn't there since I have Jazz Band but I don't mind they can have the pulldowns and leg curls to them selves:french:. Anyways so I came into the pull same time as everyone else we did warm up laps and I sucked at best. I just can't keep up, my cardio sucks!

Then we finally did some drills which wasn't to bad but I couldn't float without atleast one hand in the water and I got tired and had to go the shallow end at times.

All in all I think my cardio is crap. I guess I'll just have to swim more. Consolation though! I had the best bod there!:cool:

MakRanger
06-12-2006, 07:15 AM
I was a starter on my high school varsity water polo team. My senior year we won the CIF Southern Section Division IV championship by beating our crosstown rival in the finals.

If you are serious about being a good player you need to find a swim club in your area that is training the fastest youth group and high schoolers and sign up with them. Stamina is crucial. When I was playing each quarter was 7 minutes long. Our conditioning coach would have us sprinting from 2 to 2 (the 2 meter mark), stopping at 6m, 8m, half-tank, 8m, and 6m to tread water and change direction at each blow of the whistle. The varsity roster would be split into two teams. While team A would be sprinting/treading, Team B would be treading water inside 2 meters with their hands out of the water. The team that showed the greatest effort, speed, agility, and heart would spend less time doing the drill and more time treading water. This is only one drill, mind you.

Also, the egg beater is crucial. Find a metal fold-up chair around your school. If your school has a decent program there should be at least a handful of these babies around. Make sure the chair is in the folded position and grabbing the legs just above the feet hold the chair out of the water a few inches above the wrist. Do laps in the deep end across the width of the pool. There and back counts as one lap. If you can do 20 laps you're in good shape.

Egg-beater wars were also a favorite. Pair up with one of the strongest players on your team at center tank in the deep end. Face off and put your hands on your mate's shoulders and he puts his hands on yours. At the blow of the whistle you start egg beatering as hard as you can in an attempt to push your teamate into the wall. You only stop when somebody's ass is touching the wall.

Read Sun Tzu's art of war. Push-ups, wall sits, sit-ups, crunches, desert rats, burpies, stadiums, and most importantly swim: lots and lots of sprints.

Hope this helps. Good luck.

arya202
06-12-2006, 03:00 PM
I was a starter on my high school varsity water polo team. My senior year we won the CIF Southern Section Division IV championship by beating our crosstown rival in the finals.

If you are serious about being a good player you need to find a swim club in your area that is training the fastest youth group and high schoolers and sign up with them. Stamina is crucial. When I was playing each quarter was 7 minutes long. Our conditioning coach would have us sprinting from 2 to 2 (the 2 meter mark), stopping at 6m, 8m, half-tank, 8m, and 6m to tread water and change direction at each blow of the whistle. The varsity roster would be split into two teams. While team A would be sprinting/treading, Team B would be treading water inside 2 meters with their hands out of the water. The team that showed the greatest effort, speed, agility, and heart would spend less time doing the drill and more time treading water. This is only one drill, mind you.

Also, the egg beater is crucial. Find a metal fold-up chair around your school. If your school has a decent program there should be at least a handful of these babies around. Make sure the chair is in the folded position and grabbing the legs just above the feet hold the chair out of the water a few inches above the wrist. Do laps in the deep end across the width of the pool. There and back counts as one lap. If you can do 20 laps you're in good shape.

Egg-beater wars were also a favorite. Pair up with one of the strongest players on your team at center tank in the deep end. Face off and put your hands on your mate's shoulders and he puts his hands on yours. At the blow of the whistle you start egg beatering as hard as you can in an attempt to push your teamate into the wall. You only stop when somebody's ass is touching the wall.

Read Sun Tzu's art of war. Push-ups, wall sits, sit-ups, crunches, desert rats, burpies, stadiums, and most importantly swim: lots and lots of sprints.

Hope this helps. Good luck.

How do I tell if I'm doing the egg beater right? And did you win the California CIF?