PDA

View Full Version : Should I ease up on the PB?

Tofer
08-01-2006, 11:55 PM
Well, I did a search and found a thread where people were talking about how much peanut butter they eat each day and some people were saying 2/3 of a jar per day, or a jar in one sitting, etc. which seems almost impossible. I figured maybe I'm not buying the same size jars if that's the case, because I feel like I'm constantly eating peanut butter.

Sooo, I was hoping to clear this up. The natural peanut butter jars I buy are 1 Kg (1000 grams). I have been getting through each jar in approximately six days recently. That's about 167 grams per day of peanut butter. Each tablespoon (15 grams) is 100 calories, so that's 1113 calories each day from peanut butter.

My mom has been giving me a lot of **** lately about how much PB I've been eating. She realizes it's natural peanut butter but she still cotinues to tell me it's not healthy to be eating so much of the stuff. At first I ignored it, but now it's starting to get to me.

So, what I'm asking is does it sound like I'm eating too much peanut butter, and are there any negative consequences I can expect from continuing to eat as much as I have been?

KingWilder
08-02-2006, 12:14 AM
so thats approx. 15g sat fat, 35g polyunsat., and 41g monounsat. for a total of 94g of fat (and then 35carb, 47 protein)

what does your total fat intake usually come to at the end of the day?
what's your LBM?

it doesn't seem like that much to me, depending on if it fits your macros or not...PB is a good source of healthy fats...better that than a ton of saturated or trans fatty foods

Tofer
08-02-2006, 09:22 AM
Well I'm 6'5" and 222 lbs (according to the scale this morning) but I don't know exactly what my LBM is. As you can imagine at my height and weight, my body fat probably isn't very high. I bulked from 188-189 to where I'm at now in three months so there would have been a slight gain. Let's say 15-17% body fat so my LBM is between 184-189 or so. Since I'm bulking, I see no problem in getting 1 gram of fat per pound of LBM, and I'm fairly confident I'm not getting much more than that the majority of days. I usually take a table spoon of olive oil. The rest of the fat I get in my diet is from pretty negligible sources such as bread, oats, etc. The most I ever tracked for one day on Fit Day was 217.

I'm just curious if there are any other reasons why I should lay off peanut butter itself.

Unreal
08-02-2006, 09:28 AM
Are you gaining excessive fat? Are you gaining weight too fast? That would be the only reason I can see to back it off alittle. Just to lower your overall calories.

Jeffreyk
08-02-2006, 10:36 AM
This for real? I have 2tb MAX a day.....thats all you need...aa friggn jar is insane! Post your diet!

KingWilder
08-02-2006, 10:40 AM
This for real? I have 2tb MAX a day.....thats all you need...aa friggn jar is insane! Post your diet!

I had more than that for breakfast

if it fits your macros go for it...as long as you're still eating a variety of other foods on top of the PB you should be fine (just make sure you're taking a multi to ensure you get all your vitamins)

Margin Of Error
08-02-2006, 11:43 AM
http://wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=82105

I dont know about the people who eat a jar in one sitting cause I couldnt do that, but I get over 3000 calories a day from PB, still working just fine for me.

Jeffreyk
08-02-2006, 11:50 AM
good diet....lol.....hittn all the important vit. and min the body needs.....I've had my quarrels with Mr.X and his diet...but good luck.

sharkall2003
08-02-2006, 11:52 AM
Keep eating the peanut butter. I have probably 6-8 humongous tbspns of peanut butter everyday along with a few cups of oats, whey, bananas, and milk.

Tofer
08-02-2006, 01:07 PM
Keep eating the peanut butter. I have probably 6-8 humongous tbspns of peanut butter everyday along with a few cups of oats, whey, bananas, and milk.
Yeah me too. I throw all that stuff in the blender once in the morning and then in the evening (with some honey to disguise the taste of the raw oats). I also eat PB sandwiches throughout the day when I'm hungry (or bored). I'd say 6-8 big tbsps sounds about right.

Thanks guys, I'll keep doing what I'm doing.