PDA

View Full Version : I am Relentless...

Relentless
08-11-2006, 02:58 PM
This is my old journal.
http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=11789

This is the record of where I got to with inconsistent efforts and a lack of commitment. All in all, it's not bad. I came out of it stronger, more knowledgeable and with a superior body composition to when I started.

But I wanted more.

In many areas of my life I have the simultaneous advantage and disadvantage of being able to achieve above average competence without really trying. I'm not trying to brag; it's just how it is. This leads to immediate gratification with many new endeavours as I can easily achieve a 'journeyman' type of proficiency. This also means I can be involved in a lot of projects and groups and hobbies and so on and enjoy myself in all of it.

But I crave excellence. I crave MASTERY. THat said, this craving was directionless and it sputtered on and off as I achieved temporary satisfaction by becoming "pretty good" at some new thing, adding to my personal "Jack of all Trades" list.

Then I realized something. I have, in the past, been able to achieve excellence and mastery. I have been able to achieve aggressive material, relationship and spiritual goals. But it required a relentless pursuit. I became a monomaniac at various points in my life and as a result, progressed rapidly in certain areas.

So the challenge before me now is to harness my ability to relentlessly pursue my goals WITHOUT losing focus and WITHOUT becoming monomaniacal. I have multiple personal, physical and creative goals I want to pursue and I need to find a way to progress them every day, every week.

This journal will be a record of my response to that challenge. The name change? That's part theatre and part personal reminder. Every time I logon to WBB I'll see it. Relentless will also be a word that will be inscribed in many locations throughout my life, reminding me not just to keep at it, but the greater context of "balanced relentlessness" (if that's even a legitimate term).

More later.
Relentless

razorcut
08-15-2006, 10:56 AM
Can I still call you Cal? Lol. Nice background, I can definitely relate. Looking forward to reading about your progress....

Anthony
08-15-2006, 11:13 AM
I think DJ said something like, "If it's important - do it every day. If it's not important - don't do it at all."

Good luck man!

WBBIRL
08-15-2006, 11:29 AM
Did you like get hurt alot during the course of your old journal???

In the beginning of it I saw arnolds of like 70's x 8 and 315 pounds squats for 4 reps after a back injury.

I figured you'd be squatting a house after 4 years of training??

Relentless
08-15-2006, 04:49 PM
Who says the Bible isn't relevant anymore?

Important fact: It's a SIN for some chick to grab your nutsack if you're fighting with her man. If it happens to you next time you're in the ghetto bustin' heads, then quote the Bible to that skank!

Deuteronomy 25:11-12 (11) If two men are fighting and the wife of one of them comes to rescue her husband from his assailant, and she reaches out and seizes him by his private parts, (12) you shall cut off her hand. Show her no pity.

getfit
08-15-2006, 04:51 PM
oh! new title, new journal.I'm staying :)

Relentless
08-15-2006, 04:52 PM
Can I still call you Cal? Lol. Nice background, I can definitely relate. Looking forward to reading about your progress....

Nope. But you get to call me Scott. :) Callahan was never anything but a nickname. I'll allow mods and friends (and those that are both) to use the RL name if they like. :)

I think DJ said something like, "If it's important - do it every day. If it's not important - don't do it at all."

Good luck man!

That's pretty spot on, I think. Thanks for the kind words.

Did you like get hurt alot during the course of your old journal??? In the beginning of it I saw arnolds of like 70's x 8 and 315 pounds squats for 4 reps after a back injury. I figured you'd be squatting a house after 4 years of training??

I have consistently managed to get injured playing football or in other activities once or twice a year throughout that whole period. I also went through two separate and ill advised cutting sessions that saw my strength tail off pretty dramatically. As a result, I'm somewhat stronger in several movements than I was when I started, and about the same for others.

Some comparisons of starting 2002 weights and maxes reached throughout the last while:

Incline DB Press 80s -> 100s
Arnold Press 70s -> 90s
Squats 315 poor ROM -> 385 past parallel
Leg Press 810 -> 1000+
Shrugs 90lb DBs -> 400+ BB
Deadlifts 275 --> 465
BB Bench 205 -->275
Chins zero -> 10+
EZ Curls 85 -> 145

My current strength level is not bad, I'm not at my personal best max levels for most exercises but neither am I heinously atrophied. My way of example I was in the gym this past week and knocked off:
- a 405 deadlift
- a 365 squat
- 90lb Incline DB Benching
- many bodyweight dips
- a disappointing number of chins (barely able to get 6)

----------------------

In June of 2002, I reviewed progress that I'd made in that first year it looked like this

Shoulder Press
June 2001 - 120 lbs
June 2002 - 180 lbs

Leg Press
June 2001 - 450 lbs
June 2002 - 810 lbs

Arnold Press
June 2001 - 45 lbs
June 2002 - 75 lbs

Machine Rows
June 2001 - 150 lbs
June 2002 - 210 lbs

Leg Extensions
June 2001 - 355 lbs
June 2002 - 550 lbs (equivalent, doing 275 1-legged)

Leg Curls
June 2001 - 180 lbs
June 2002 - 255 lbs

Bench
June 2001 - 180 lbs
June 2002 - 262.5 lbs

Squats
June 2001 - 225 lbs (using smith machine - yuk!)
June 2002 - 315 lbs freeweight, solid reps

Machine Pectoral Flyes
June 2001 - 120 lbs
June 2002 - 210 lbs

Deadlifts
June 2001 - 0 lbs
June 2002 - 315 lbs

Generally speaking, part of the reason I've changed my name is reflective of the reason I haven't made the kind of progress you'd expect over 4 years. I've been inconsistent, particularly with my diet, and that has hampered my gains.

This is no longer the case. I'll be posting details as I have time and inclination.

heathj
08-15-2006, 09:17 PM
good luck toronto mofo!

Relentless
09-20-2006, 03:37 PM
FYI all,

the last month has been what I'm terming "gym acclimatization"

I've been doing mostly random workouts, trying to get everything to hurt and generally getting my body used to the regular abuse again.

I've got two weeks of insane schedule ahead of me and then I'll be posting a diet and workout for comments, criticisms and all that.

Relentless
10-11-2006, 01:11 PM
I am Relentless
Day 1

AM Bodyweight: 229

Training
T-Bar Rows
135x5/5/5/5/5 (increase to 145)
* an object lesson in machine weights not meaning a damn thing... in the gym in Toronto I could pull 5 plates on this. Here, I found 3 somewhat challenging. Still, finished the set.

Machine Rows
120x8/8/8 (increase to 135)
* They have every Hammerstrength machine *BUT* the row here so I was stuck using the dorky 'LifeFitness' one. We'll see how this goes. 120 was a piece of cake but I purposesly started low on this. 135 next.

Incline DB Press
85x5/5/4/3/3
I know I could hit 5x5 on 80s from my reconditioning workouts over the last month so I went to 85. Maybe it's because I'm not doing these fresh but I struggled a bit here. I expect to close out 85 next session.

Machine Flyes
150x8/8/8 (increase to 165)
* Again, a bit of a cupcake lift but I wanted to start low and progress.

Seated Lever Calf Press
90x20/20/20
* Well hot damn, a challenge. I know I can lift heavier than this but I'd never really gone high rep before. A slow burn permeated my calves around rep 14-15 in each set. I walked a little funny after each set as well.

Max Incline Crunches
BWx12/12/12 (add 25lbs)
* Started with no weight because, well, I haven't done ab work since 2004. As with all of these exercises, progression will be key. In any case, this felt pretty good so I'll start with adding weight next session.

Supplementation
1 Pak Animal Pak
1g Glucosamine
1g additional Vitamin C
10g Fish Oil
4 scoops Nitrean
2 scoops Elite Mega Mass (will switch this to Opticen when I run out...)

Diet
Still working some kinks out here... I'm trying to combine my needs with the culinary desires of my pregnant wife. Always a challenge. Right now we're looking at about 3000 total calories to start the cutting process and I'll be scaling back as my fat loss plateaus. More detail in future posts.

Comments, Rants, You Name It
Well it may or may not be obvious from the first workout, but I'm essentially following Built's Baby Got Back (http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?p=1290214#post1290214) routine. I did a bunch of research, testing, thinking and discussing and wound up with a workout devised on my own that was damn similar so I just decided to scrap that and follow BGB for the hell of it. Back has never been a particularly weak spot for me like Chest has but I like the format and style of BGB so here it goes.

I finally bought a couple of properly-fitting ballcaps for my gym clothes bag. Now my vision tunnels down to the 180 degrees of y-axis below the brim and about 20 degrees of x-axis within the sharp curve of the brim (I worked it in, worked it in to look like that). I have a zeppelinesque head so finding a hat that fit was a challenge. I wanted Nike but they didn't have any large enough. There may some sort of lesson in there... something about Nike products only being suitable for smallheaded people... but I'm not going to look too hard for it.

Why am I doing all this? Why the name change? Why the new workouts? Why the renewed commitment to lifting and training and all that?
1) I'm back playing football for 2 different teams again. Fitness is key to suriving this.
2) I took some time off, and promptly gained 10lbs of mostly fat. Wake up call time was nigh.
3) In less than 4 months I will be a father. I expect my life to become considerably busier and more complicated at that time. If I don't get a grip on diet and training NOW to the point where it is an ingrained habit in 4 months' time, I'll be completely screwed when Bubs comes along.
4) I figure I should set a good example with the whole Administrator thing. :D

Focused70
10-11-2006, 07:33 PM
Bubs. I like it, lol.

:lurk:

Relentless
10-12-2006, 12:24 PM
I am Relentless
Day 2

AM Bodyweight: 230

Training
Squats
225x5/5/5/5/5 (increase to 245)
* As with all things, this is lightish but that's on purpose.

Leg Press
5PPSx8/8/8 (increase to 6PPS)
* 5PPS was a piece of cake. going to go up by a large increment here and probably less later.

High Foot Position Leg Press
3PPSx20/20/20 (add 25 to each side)
* As with yesterday's calf work, I was surprised a bit at my lack of endurance to even hit 20 reps on this... it was a struggle after 14-15 reps. Ground through it and then walked gimpily for a while. Is that a word? Gimpily? Gimpesque? With Gimplitude?

EZ Curls
100x5/5/5/4/3
* a bit disappointing given that I used to rep out at 135+ but I shall have patience.

Seated Hammer Curls
35x8/7/6
* Ugh... these were supposed to be 8-12 rep sets... if I can't get 8s across the board next time I will drop to 30. :(

Supplementation
1 Pak Animal Pak
1g Glucosamine
1g additional Vitamin C
10g Fish Oil
4 scoops Nitrean
2 scoops Elite Mega Mass

Diet
Not terribly clean yesterday evening as we're still working through Thanksgiving leftovers. Utterly clean throughout the day though... protein shakes, tuna and eggs were the staple elements. Grocery shopping this weekend will solidify my diet plan and I'll start posting macros and meals and stuff in the next week.

I forgot my notebook and my mp3 player at the office today on my way to the gym. Went ahead without them and plowed through the workout nonetheless. I felt like it was the universe sending me a personal reminder that it won't always be convenient or comfortable when I'm hitting the iron but the trick is to do it ANYWAY.

---

Saw a kid in the gym today doing EZ curls. He must've weighed a buck fifty soaking wet and looked like he was 19 or so. He did at least 10 sets of curls that I saw, complete with enough body movement to almost make the movements into reverse-grip cleans! Here's hoping that he learns how to eat and how to train before he burns himself out because he sure had intensity to burn!

Feedback

Stash: Yup. We don't know what it'll be, genderwise, so until then it's 'Bubs'. Once we sort out the penis/!penis equation, we're looking at either Declan Jack or Leelu Joy for names.

Relentless
10-17-2006, 10:01 AM
I am Relentless - Day 3
Monday, October 16 2006

AM Bodyweight: 234

Training
Chins
BW-50x5/5/5/5/5 (increase to -30)
* As with all things, this is lightish but that's on purpose.

Hammerstrength ISO Pulldown
2PPSx8/8/5
* heavier than I thought... excellent stretch in the lats at the top of the ROM though.

Arnold Press
60x5/5/5/5/5 (increase to 65)
* As always, shoulders seem strong. Looking forward to good progress here.

Standing Side Laterals
20x8/8/8 (increase to 25)
* piece of cake...

Calf Raise on Leg Press
3PPSx20/20/20 (increase to 4 PPS)
* felt pretty good although I had to reset foot position about once per set...

Max Incline Crunches
10x12/12/9
* Not sure if it was just my abs being weak as hell or possibly an incipient hernia but my lower abs were screaming on this... must monitor their condition.

Supplementation
1 Pak Animal Pak
1g Glucosamine
1g additional Vitamin C
10g Fish Oil
4 scoops Nitrean
2 scoops Elite Mega Mass

Diet
Generally good. I'm definitely getting maintenance or more calories (witness the weight gain over last week... although 4 lbs in a weekend must be mostly water. ;) Mostly clean again, with a few minor cheats. I'm not going to worry about being super clean until I've been in the gym solid for a month or so and will work towards super clean week by week.

Played football again this weekend in my new Kitchener league. This whole 'continuous forward passing' really changes the game, and I find I have to fight my reflexes some of the time in order to stay in coverage. Trying to get my team to play zone instead of man on defense so we can run less and have more opportunities to intercept.

Feedback

Nil.

Relentless
10-17-2006, 01:34 PM
I am Relentless - Day 4
Tuesday, October 17 2006

AM Bodyweight: 233

Training
Romanian Deadlifts
315 x 5/5/5/5/5 (increase to 335)
* my grip was sore after this and posterior chain protested a bit but all in all good reps. I expect this will shoot up pretty quickly and consistently once I'm used to lifting heavy again.

Leg Curls
165 x 8/8/12 (increase to 180)
* this was easy enough

Leg Extensions
180 x 20/20/15
* Holy lactic acid Batman! Failure on set 3 was unexpected! Should cash this in next session though, as I continue to adapt to the new training.

Dips
BW x 5/5/5/5/5 (add 10 lbs)
* piece of cake... now to start strapping up with weight

1-Hand Reverse Tricep Pressdowns
30 x 12/12/12 (increase to 35)
* not too hard, although slightly harder than I expected! I used to do 70 or more on this... of course that was on a different machine...

Supplementation
1 Pak Animal Pak
1g Glucosamine
1g additional Vitamin C
10g Fish Oil
4 scoops Nitrean
2 scoops Elite Mega Mass

Diet
Generally good. Not super clean. In fact, had a little dessert last night. Sara made some sauteed spiced figs into a sauce which we put on top of some vanilla frozen yogurt. Decadent!!

I am 3-3 in the WBB fantasy football league. WTF!??!? I should be dominating!! :) Ah well, I'll pick things up in the 2nd half of the season I'm sure. Now that Houshmanzadeh is healthy (crosses fingers) and Stallworth will be healthy (crosses other fingers).

Feedback

Nil.

Bohizzle
10-17-2006, 01:45 PM
areu just trying high reps for some exercises? or have u found that doing higher rep schemes works with lower rep earlier exercises (like in pmdl's hypertrophy primer)? workouts are looking good!

Andrew

Relentless
10-19-2006, 01:26 PM
I am Relentless - Day 1
Thursday, October 19 2006

Training
T-Bar Rows
145x5/5/5/5/5 (increase to 155)
* Felt pretty good although doing these with a protein burp on its way results in painful cramps... LOL!

Machine Rows
135x8/8/8 (increase to 150)
* Pretty light still but I'll stick with progressing 15lbs a week until I top out and then I'll progress the reps

Incline DB Press
85x5/5/5/5/4
* Did somebody say growth rep? :) I got stuck on rep5 of set4 and I ground it out. I think I might have growled a little in doing so because some skinny little personal trainer looked at me funny when I put the DBs down. I expect I will close this out next week and move to 90s! Great reps overall; I struggled a bit with the last rep on the last 2 sets but everything else was strong.

Machine Flyes
165x8/8/8 (increase to 180)
* destroyed this weight... time for more.

Seated Lever Calf Press
100x20/20/20 (increase to 115)
* Felt MUCH more capable with this week's effort. I am already adapting to the workload.

Max Incline Crunches
* stopped in first set due to lower abdominal pain. I am going to get checked out to ensure I don't have an incipient hernia. This isn't just 'sore muscle pain' it's something else. Dammit.

Supplementation
1 Pak Animal Pak
1g Glucosamine
1g additional Vitamin C
10g Fish Oil
4 scoops Nitrean

Diet
Good so far this week. Chicken breasts, broccoli, soup, etc. is the order of the day.

Sometimes the thing I like most about lifting is the fact that you cannot think about anything else other than the iron. Reality fades until it is just you, the iron, and your desire to move it. Life moves pretty fast, and being under a bunch of iron slows all of that down to a crawl as you grind out one... more... rep... :)

Maybe I'm overanalyzing it.

Feedback

Bohizzle: As stated earlier in the journal, I'm essentially following Built's "Baby Got Back" which mirrors PMDL's Hypertrophy primer in many ways and also matches my own experience and research. Does that answer your question?

ddegroff
10-19-2006, 02:01 PM
Man lovin' your new dedication to the Iron! Also the out look you have towards lifting and diet.

Congrats on becoming a father soon!

Bohizzle
10-19-2006, 02:07 PM
[QUOTE=Relentless Does that answer your question?[/QUOTE]
It certainly does :D

Sidior
10-19-2006, 04:23 PM
I really like the setup of this journal. You seem to have a great grasp on training and are making solid gains already. Best of luck entering fatherhood.

Clifford Gillmore
10-20-2006, 04:25 AM
Maybe I'm overanalyzing it.

Heavy pieces of metal hold very little conversation value, good stuff.

getfit
10-20-2006, 04:44 AM
Looks like everthings back on track Scott :)

Couldn't make it to TO this time around got caught up with work here.I'm hoping I can make it before Christmas.

Relentless
10-20-2006, 01:47 PM
I am Relentless - Day 2
Friday, October 20 2006

Training
Squats
245x5/5/5/5/5 (increase to 275)
* My sometimes-wobbly knee felt stable on these. They were all solid, below parallel and with good burst. Of course I'd expect that with light squats. ;)

Leg Press
6PPSx8/8/8 (increase to 7PPS)
* Ah if only I could increase like this every week on every lift. ;) Obviously I'm still below my working weight here but I'll progress up gradually.

3PPS+25x20/20/20 (increase to 4PPS)
* Endurance much better on these; didn't really slow down or feel the lactic acid until 3rd set this time

EZ Curls
100x5/5/5/5/5 (increase to 110)
* 110 is the largest "preset" EZ curl bar in the gym. After that I'll have to use the oly weights on the adjustable bar. Finally! :)

Seated Hammer Curls
30x6/6/6
* Ugh... just U-G-L-Y. I think I'm either gassed from the workout or just REALLY not used to doing multiple exercises for biceps. I will drop these to 25 and see how that goes. 25 seems so light but I just can't get the reps here.

Supplementation
1 Pak Animal Pak
1g Glucosamine
1g additional Vitamin C
10g Fish Oil
4 scoops Nitrean
2 scoops Elite Mega Mass

Diet
Still mostly clean. :) Had some flatbreads with chili as main dinner last night. Peanuts and a bit of yogurt as a snack. I will think about getting religious about food choices next month. For now, continuing to make 90+%clean choices will be the order of the day as I feel leaner already and I'm making progress.

Saw a real King of the Quarter Squats today. He did the saddest plyometric jump squats I've ever seen (with just the bar and then a quarter on each side) and then did more Quarter Squats than anyone I've ever seen, ranging in weights up to 315. Actually Quarter Squats would be a generous term. He basically unlocked his knees, bobbed a bit and locked them again for each 'rep'. I resisted a strong urge to play dumb and ask him how he was able to lift so much but I think my own physique would have given away the deception. :p

---

Song of the Moment: OK GO - Invincible

Feedback

ddegroff: Thanks for the kind words.

sidior: Thanks for the kind words. I like to think that I do occasionally have a few accurate notions about training. They're not gains yet though. They're just progression in submaximal work. Sort of a halfassed periodization as I get back into a proper workout mode after about a year of mostly not being consistent, being injured and generally messing things up.

Risk10k: Yeah. I never met a 45lb-plate that could really hold up its own end of a debate. I just keep getting the silent treatment. I guess that it really only has the one rhetorical tactic.

Sylvia: I shall simply have to rely on memories of our last meeting to tide me over with warm fuzzies. :p

Beast
10-21-2006, 08:18 PM
Man, all this time I thought you were MIA, but you just changed your name.
Last time I checked you were doing DC training... Did you stop because you were tired of the routine?

Relentless
10-23-2006, 03:13 PM
I am Relentless - Day 3
Monday, October 23 2006

AM Bodyweight: 231

Training
Chins
BW-30x5/5/5/5/3
* I think that the 'assist' is hindering as much as helping with this, as it mostly gets in the way. I will do next week with 30 assist and assuming I hit 5x5, I will jump right to regular chins on a regular pullup bar.

2PPSx8/8/8 (increase to 2PPS+10)
* /pwned

Arnold Press
65x5/5/5/5/5 (increase to 70)
* Just destroyed 65. I thought I might not make it after a slow lockout on rep5 of set 4 but I got through set 5 like a champ. Got to make sure my DB bench stays ahead of this. ;)

Standing Side Laterals
25x8/8/8 (increase to 30)
* piece of cake... again

Calf Raise on Leg Press
4PPSx20/13/12
* adding pauses at the bottom of the ROM both gives the calves a good stretch and makes this harder on the calves. I like it. Also had some minor foot slipping but I just reset foot position and it was fine.

Max Incline Crunches
Ab work still on hold until evaluation.

Supplementation
1 Pak Animal Pak
1g Glucosamine
1g additional Vitamin C
10g Fish Oil
4 scoops Nitrean
2 scoops Elite Mega Mass

Diet
Good on the weekend for the most part. A bit of cheating here and there (had a beer Saturday night and a bit of frozen yogurt Sunday), and calories were good overall. I'm getting into the mode where junk food is no longer appealing, which is typical for me when I clean up my diet. It gets so I don't even WANT stuff that isn't essentially healthy/on-diet.

Got a couple of receptions in the new football league this weekend. Nothing glamorous but ran good routes and made clean catches. Didn't make any 'tackles' on defense though but I attribute that to my blanket coverage of my assigned receivers. :D I am feeling pretty well adjusted to the league now although there are still some stupid rules that bug me.

Feedback

Beast: Hey dude. Yeah it was time for a change. I was a bit tired of DC and I also was finding it kind of hard on my joints. High rep medium-heavy work is brutal for that. For now, I will stick with the 'Baby Got Back' type program which I feel is pretty well constructed. I definitely will get back to DC at some point but just not right now.

Franjipani
10-23-2006, 11:49 PM
I've been inconsistent, particularly with my diet, and that has hampered my gains.

Unfortunately for me....I was trying to keep up with hubby on the eating front....but he's 6'2 & weighing 95kg......bad news for moi:cry:

Great journal & brilliant choice of name...good luck :thumbup:

Relentless
10-24-2006, 02:58 PM
I am Relentless - Day 4
Tuesday, October 24 2006

Training
Romanian Deadlifts
335 x 5/5/5/5/5 (increase to 355?)
* agh! posterior chain needs to stop being such a wimp! wicked sore after this immediately after doing these... but it felt better afterwards. I suspect the small muscles are just not used to the work? I will seek advice on form for this movement.

Leg Curls
180 x 8/8/10 (increase to 195)
* again, easy stuff

Leg Extensions
180 x 20/20/20 (increase to 195)
* My expectations were correct; my body is adapting to the higher volume work and I powered through this with little difficulty.

Dips
BW+10 x 5/5/5/5/5 (increase to +25)
* no problem with 10 pounds dangling between my legs (you know, in addition to the other massive objects already dangling there... LOL). Time for more.

35 x 12/12/12 (increase to 35)
* Felt much better on this today. Good pump in the tris.

Supplementation
1 Pak Animal Pak
1g Glucosamine
1g additional Vitamin C
10g Fish Oil
4 scoops Nitrean
2 scoops Elite Mega Mass

Diet
Generally good. Looking forward to getting on track with a stricter diet plan in 2 weeks or so.

I saw King of the Quarter Squats again today. Doing "curls" in the squat rack. His lower back and legs were getting quite a workout. Colour me utterly unsurprised.

Feedback

Franjilicious: You can eat the same things as him. Just don't eat as much. LOL!! I often eat different meals from Sara even though we're eating meals at the same time. When I cook, sometimes I'll make some common stuff but we might have different side dishes or whatever.

Stumprrp
10-24-2006, 04:25 PM
strong work

ddegroff
10-24-2006, 05:12 PM
I suspect the small muscles are just not used to the work?

I'd agree, it's only going to get better.

Nice work!

Clifford Gillmore
10-24-2006, 07:23 PM
* no problem with 10 pounds dangling between my legs (you know, in addition to the other massive objects already dangling there... LOL).

The chain holding the plate? :P

Nice workout big guy! So how strict do you get on your diet? Down to marcro or you just as cleanly as possible with a preset caloric total?

SW
10-26-2006, 11:58 AM
I'm impressed with the new and improved Callahan. More power to you, as I've also recently rededicated.

rookiebldr
10-26-2006, 01:26 PM
Franjilicious: You can eat the same things as him. Just don't eat as much. LOL!! I often eat different meals from Sara even though we're eating meals at the same time. When I cook, sometimes I'll make some common stuff but we might have different side dishes or whatever.

Agreed. Especially you're doing the cooking. I cook so they tend to eat what I put in front of the, except I reserve more protein for me. hehehe.

Anthony
10-26-2006, 01:43 PM
Congrats on bubs!! And nice consistency with the training ... your comment about things not being perfect (forgetting ipod, shoes, shorts, whatever) is exactly right. When you're faced with difficulty and you still follow through, you end up strengthening your discipline. Not that forgetting your damn ipod is a big deal, but still ....

:D

Relentless
10-26-2006, 01:47 PM
I am Relentless - Day 1
Thursday, October 26 2006

AM Bodyweight: 232

Training
T-Bar Rows
155x5/5/5/5/5 (increase to 165)
* Not too shabby.

Machine Rows
150x8/8/8 (increase to 165)
* Felt good and strong through this; had good peak contractions at the top of each ROM

Incline DB Press
85x5/5/5/5/5 (increase to 90)
* All right. Closed out the 85s and time to bust out the 90s. They are the first set of DBs on the "big boy rack" at the end. It's like I'm all grownsed up. Actually I can't wait to get back on the 100s just because it's a badass number. Not sure what I will do once I go past the 120s, because that's the heaviest DBs in the gym. Guess I'll have to do BB bench instead. :( That will be a good problem to have though I guess.

Machine Flyes
180x8/8/8 (increase to 195)
* once again, utter domination of the weight... of course it was way light. LOL. Still, I will be disciplined with my progression. Slow and steady.

Seated Lever Calf Press
115x20/20/20 (increase to 135)
* Again felt very strong through this although had to reset foot position a couple of times. Pausing at the bottom of the rep makes these a lot more challenging though. You can't rely on your muscle's elasticity to get you "out of the hole".

Max Incline Crunches
* still suspended pending examination

Supplementation
1 Pak Animal Pak
1g Glucosamine
1g additional Vitamin C
10g Fish Oil
4 scoops Nitrean

Diet
Continuing as mostly clean. The fact that I've been maintaining relative bodyweight over the last couple weeks while training hard again and eating maintenance to slightly above maintenance in calories says to me I'm recomposing already. My pants are looser and my shirts are tighter. :)

KOTQS was back in action in the squat rack today. More "plyo squats". I didn't stick around long enough to see the 315lb quarter squats but I'm sure they were amusing. Was I ever this clueless looking in the gym? Surely I must have been.

Feedback

Stumprrp: It's getting there. Talk to me again in 3 months. :)

ddegroff: Thanks for the kind words. I felt ok today so I take that as a sign that nothing was strained; just stressed from the heavy workload.

Risk10k: Right now my only rules are: minimum calories per day, minimum grams protein per day, and GENERALLY choose wisely about treats/snacks/etc. I had pizza Tuesday night for instance, but kept it to 4 pieces and also had some chicken breast and broccoli. But that was the only major meal in about a week that was that far "off track". I expect to get stricter and stricter as time goes on with diet but right now I'm still in early stages so my focus is reacclimating to constant hard training and taking advantage of muscle memory.

Nick Hatfield: Thanks man. The trick is to reform the habits that you've lost. Rereading Covey's "7 Habits" has also helped me.

Jeff: Yup. That's the way to do it. Actually, with Sara pregnant she is occasionally deciding partway through a meal that she is done with her chicken breast or burger or whatever (meat is turning her off at odd times). More protein for me!! :)

Anthony: Thanks man. I tend to analyze myself and my actions a lot and I take heart in making good decisions. We are, after all, a product of all of our decisions. The big ones and the little ones alike. My goal is to be just as consistent 3 months from now. Then I'll KNOW I've properly established new habits and I will already have achieved significant change. Actually training has never been hard for me to be religious about but diet has always been an x-factor. I enjoy cooking and I enjoy eating, although I don't really get cravings or go on binges. The hard part, I think, will be cooking more and more separate meals for my wife as time goes on. BEcause she's picky and finicky at the best of times, let alone when she's pregnant. She just couldn't eat chicken breast and broccoli every night while I could do that for a LONG time.

Chubrock
10-26-2006, 01:47 PM
Nice RDLs Mr. Admin haha. Good to see a journal from ya.

Clifford Gillmore
10-26-2006, 04:50 PM
Very nice session there, the very strong inclines!

Sidior
10-26-2006, 05:08 PM
Everything seems in order:) How do you find the animal pak vitamins instead of a multi?

Relentless
10-27-2006, 03:47 PM
I am Relentless - Day 2
Friday, October 27 2006

Bodyweight: 233

Training
Squats
275x5/5/5/5/5 (increase to 295)
* Very solid reps. My low back was a little tired by the end of it but I had excellent burst out of the hole and nice deep reps. Not ATF but below parallel.

Leg Press
7PPSx8/8/8 (increase to 8PPS)
* Well it was harder than 6PPs. But I still ground it out. I think 8PPS will be where I slow down, based on how this felt.

4PPSx20/16/13
* These just tired me out... I felt like I should have been able to power through them but my legs just got fried...

EZ Curls
110x5/5/4/3/3
* Felt real strong on the first 2 sets and then tailed off a little. These were all rock solid reps though. No body sway/english. Just grinding it out and thrashing the bis.

Seated Hammer Curls
25x8/8/8
* Well this was too light. Back to 30s I guess.

Supplementation
1 Pak Animal Pak
1g Glucosamine
1g additional Vitamin C
10g Fish Oil
6 scoops Nitrean
(ran out of Elite Mega Mass at the office; got some more at home I'll bring in next week)

Diet
Continuing cleanish.

Song of the Moment: Antiflag - Born to Die

---

Work is a bitch lately. I don't have the energy to rant.

Feedback

Chubrock: Thank yew for yore sew-port.

Risk10k: Meh. I'll feel strong when I move past the 100s again. Thanks though.

sidior: Animal Pak are to Multivitamins as weighted Dips are to Tricep Kickbacks. I like them. I feel better, recover faster and have vastly reduced DOMS when I take Animal Pak.

Relentless
10-30-2006, 02:10 PM
I am Relentless - Day 3
Monday, October 30 2006

AM Bodyweight: 232

Training
Chins
BWx5/3/3/2.5/2.5
* A testament to my fatassedness. :) Ah well, this is much better than dicking around with minimal-assist levels on the machine. I will work up to 5x5 and then start strapping on weight. Strained my left bicep a bit doing this... must remember to keep descent slower and controlled.

2PPS+10x8/6/6
* this felt pretty good and the ROM is so long I get a stretch at the top, which is nice.

Arnold Press
70x5/5/5/3/3
* left bicep tendon was tender throughout this... basically it would twinge mightily at the bottom of the ROM. Overall I was pleased with the reps though. I'll be back up to my previous working weight of 80 in no time and then it'll be PR time. :)

Standing Side Laterals
30x7/6/5
* not too bad... again the left arm was a bit sore. Really felt this in my delts, and I did these with a slower, deliberate motion.

Calf Raise on Leg Press
4PPSx20/17/15
* good progress on reps here; the paused reps definitely improve this exercise

Supplementation
1 Pak Animal Pak
1g Glucosamine
1g additional Vitamin C
10g Fish Oil
4 scoops Nitrean
2 scoops Elite Mega Mass (vanilla now, I've finished chocolate but found some old vanilla I had... sadly this means it will be a while longer before I enjoy Opticen's tasty goodness).

Diet
On track for most of the weekend.

Played football on Saturday (1 TD, 1 INT, 10-12 receptions, 3-4 passes defensed). Wound up losing because we gave up a couple plays we shouldn't have. I had fun though.

My buddy Dan was up for the weekend so I played in Toronto. He was on fire. He is playing lighter than he has been (around 195) and he was an animal on the field. Multiple TD catches, multiple INTs, including one intercepted in the end zone that he ran back for a TD. He is breaking on the ball very well.

Feedback

nil

ddegroff
10-30-2006, 08:45 PM
Strong workout!

Hopefully the bicep isn't too strained.

Sidior
10-30-2006, 10:52 PM
Chins are hard dont sweat it. Nice arnies!

Chubrock
10-30-2006, 10:59 PM
Strong Arnold Presses man. You'll get those chinups up to snuff quickly. No worries.

Relentless
10-31-2006, 01:49 PM
I am Relentless - Day 4
Tuesday, October 31 2006

Training
Romanian Deadlifts
355 x 5/5/5/3/3
* pos chain felt better on these today

Leg Curls
195 x 8/8/8 (increase to 210)
* killed these

Leg Extensions
195 x 20/17/14
* Hello lactic acid

Dips
BW+25 x 5/5/3/3/3
* The first rep in every set was a struggle, but the rest were strong. What's up with that? I find it hard to do the first rep, but once I get past that, the 2nd and subsequent reps feel much smoother.

40 x 12/12/12 (increase to 45)
* holy swollen triceps, Batman!

Supplementation
1 Pak Animal Pak
1g Glucosamine
1g additional Vitamin C
10g Fish Oil
4 scoops Nitrean
2 scoops Elite Mega Mass

Diet
Good.

I think that all of us, at some level, want to be Heroes. Even if it's just to one other person. For some, maybe it's antiheroes but the drive remains the same.

---

Watched "Hannah and her Sisters" last night. I don't much care for Woody Allen but some of the dialogue in this flick was superb.

[Frederick is talking about TV]
Frederick: You see the whole culture. Nazis, deodorant salesmen, wrestlers, beauty contests, a talk show. Can you imagine the level of a mind that watches wrestling? But the worst are the fundamentalist preachers. Third grade con men telling the poor suckers that watch them that they speak with Jesus, and to please send in money. Money, money, money! If Jesus came back and saw what's going on in his name, he'd never stop throwing up.

Mickey's Father: How the hell do I know why there were Nazis? I don't know how the can opener works!

Gail: Listen, kid, I think you snapped your cap. Maybe you need a few weeks in Bermuda or something. Or go to a whorehouse! (spoken by Julie Kavner, who some of you may know as the voice of Marge Simpson. It was trippy to hear Marge suggest a whorehouse visit!)

Feedback

ddegroff: Feels fine today so I think I'm alright.

sidior: Oh don't get me wrong. I like that they're difficult. I just find it's a useful measure of my overall fitness (or lack thereof).

chubrock: I'd like to see the Arnolds get to 100 and the Incline DB Press get to 120/130.

SW
10-31-2006, 02:14 PM
When I do the posterior chain movements, even deads alot of the time, I also feel almost immediate sore/stiffness. Those are just the breaks I guess.

Relentless
11-03-2006, 02:24 PM
I am Relentless - Day 2
Friday, November 3 2006

Bodyweight: 230 :)

Training
Squats
295x5/5/5/5/5 (increase to 315)
* Very solid reps AGAIN. Good burst out of the hole, nice depth, and my sometimes-problematic knee was stable. I liked them. Time for 3 plates again. Starting to feel properly manly with these. If I can keep progressing I will be hitting PRs in early next year as I take advantage of muscle memory and regain my previous strength levels.

Leg Press
8PPSx8/8/6
* Just kind of ran out of steam on the last set. I didn't really REALLY grind it out so I maybe could have gotten 2 more but I'm comfortable with this if I hit 3x8 next week..

4PPSx20/20/20 (Increase to 4PPS+25)
* Felt like this was almost too light...

EZ Curls
110x5/5/5/5/5 (increase to 115)
* Time to stop dicking around with the preloaded bars and move back to the EZ bar with Oly weights. There is something satisfying about curling with a 45 on each side... :)

Seated Hammer Curls
30x8/8/8 (increase to 35)
* I don't know why I wasn't able to do this before, but these FLEW up. Maybe it was just a conditioning thing, getting used to the workload again.

Supplementation
1 Pak Animal Pak
1g Glucosamine
1g additional Vitamin C
10g Fish Oil
6 Elite Mega Mass (ran out of Nitrean and forgot to bring more from home)

Diet
Continuing cleanish. I'll be officially one month in to the new program next week and will start getting religion on diet at that time.

Song of the Moment: The Tragically Hip - Little Bones

Feedback

Nick Hatfield: Yeah but I'm used to NOT feeling it. I believe it's just a case of being a little out of shape and not used to the workload.

Relentless
11-06-2006, 01:39 PM
I am Relentless - Day 3
Monday, November 6 2006

Bodyweight: 232

Training
Chins
BWx5/5/3.5/3/3
* Better but still pretty sad.

2PPS+10x8/8/8 (increase to +20)
* Noice!

Arnold Press
70x5/5/5/5/5 (increase to 75)
* Again left bicep tendon gave me minor grief at bottom of ROM. Finished off 70 though.

Standing Side Laterals
30x8/6.5/6
* Minor progress here.

Calf Raise on Leg Press
4PPSx20/20/15
* the calf pump I got from this was pretty cool... I don't think I've ever managed a calf pump before.

Supplementation
1 Pak Animal Pak
1g Glucosamine
1g additional Vitamin C
10g Fish Oil
4 scoops Nitrean
2 scoops Elite Mega Mass

Diet
On track for most of the weekend.

Played football in my Kitchener league. 4-5 receptions, and an assist on a TD pass where I shovel-passed to a teammate and he heave-hoed it downtown for a score. I still think this whole continuous-forward-passing thing is pretty dumb though. We lost 13-7 at the end. :(

Feedback

nil

Relentless
11-09-2006, 02:25 PM
I am Relentless - Day 4
Tuesday, November 7 2006

Training
Romanian Deadlifts
355 x 5/5/5/5/5 (increase to 375)
* felt quite good throughout. Posterior chain issues are gone.

Leg Curls
210 x 8/8/8 (increase to 225)
* starting to get near the end of the stack on this... either I'll start doing them 1-legged or switch to a new exercise

Leg Extensions
195 x 20/20/20 (increase to 210)
* well, this hurt... but I did it.

Dips
BW+25 x 5/5/5/3/3
* Still fighting on the first rep of every set and then strong for the others. Damndest thing. I will ask the forum for ideas on this.

45 x 12/12/8
* I am pumped *clap* up!

Supplementation
1 Pak Animal Pak
1g Glucosamine
1g additional Vitamin C
10g Fish Oil
4 scoops Nitrean
2 scoops Elite Mega Mass

Diet
Good.

"Wanting it doesn't make it so. If it did, we'd all learn to want harder. I can already want quite vigorously, thank you very much. "
One of "Slovotsky's Laws", from the mouth of the character Walter Slovotsky, by author Joel Rosenberg.
Easily one of my favourite authors of all time. His Guardians of the Flame series is worth reading.

More Slovotsky's Laws:
"16: When the universe doesn't give a ****, don't be mad: it's being as friendly as it ever gets."

"22: Never date a woman with a brother named Nunzio."

"When you know not whereof you speak, your mouth is best used for chewing."

"Not getting cut up into bloody little slices is the key to a sound plan. "

That'll do for now.

Feedback

Nil.

Relentless
11-09-2006, 02:32 PM
I am Relentless - Day 1
Thursday, November 8 2006

Bodyweight: 234

Training
T-Bar Rows
165x5/5/5/4/4
* I got 5 reps on the last 2 sets but wasn't happy with the ROM.

Machine Rows
180x8/8/8 (increase to 195)
* Still feels pretty light

Incline DB Press
90x5/5/5/5/5 (increase to 95)
* 5lbs more to 100s. Then I'll start to stress that the DBs only go up to 120. There's always something to worry about.

Machine Flyes
195x8/8/8 (increase to 210)
* Piece of cake. Well, MOSTLY a piece of cake. I was shaking a bit on the last set.

Seated Lever Calf Press
135x20/20/12
* Calf cramps are fun!

Supplementation
1 Pak Animal Pak
1g Glucosamine
1g additional Vitamin C
10g Fish Oil
4 scoops Nitrean

Diet
Continuing as mostly clean. I am going to start increasing calories now for a while and see if I can get weight up to 240 while maintaining current BF levels.

Nada.

Feedback

Nil.

Relentless
11-10-2006, 01:49 PM
I am Relentless - Day 2
Friday, November 10 2006

Training
Squats
315x5/5/5/5/4
* Was just a little wobbly on the last set and didn't want to push for a 5th. I'll close this out next week and move on up, most likely.

Leg Press
8PPSx8/8/8 (increase to 9PPS)
* Managed to get through this surprisingly easily.

4PPS+25x20/20/14
* Just kinda lost steam on the last set.

EZ Curls
115x5/4/3/2/2
* This felt a BUNCH heavier than 110, but this is the first week using the oly curl bar with freeweights instead of the preloaded bars. Ah well. I'm sure I'll see progress next week from this as I adapt.

Seated Hammer Curls
35x8/8/8 (increase to 40)
* Just powered through these.

Supplementation
1 Pak Animal Pak
1g Glucosamine
1g additional Vitamin C
10g Fish Oil
4 scoops Nitrean
2 scoops Elite Mega Mass (still working on Vanilla. Eww.)

Diet
Ramping up calories this week. We'll see if I can hit 240 by Xmas.

Song of the Moment: Louis XIV - A Letter To Dominique

---

I love the contrasts of training.

Working to failure in a set that represents a personal best.
Nervousness and dread before a heavy lift and the exhilaration afterwards.
The pain of DOMS and the pleasure of a good 'pump'.

Feedback

Nil.

Relentless
11-14-2006, 09:51 AM
I am Relentless - Day 3
Monday, November 13 2006

Bodyweight: 230

Training
Chins
BWx5/5/5/4/3.5
* Better than last week; felt more comfortable with the movement and getting a good solid ROM.

2PPS+25x7/5/5
* Decided to increase to +25 instead of +20 just to save effort on moving plates around. Felt pretty heavy. :) Good reps though.

Arnold Press
75x5/5/5/3/3
* Good work here. Didn't think I'd get 5 on set 3 but I gutted it out. Wound up locking out first one arm then the other but I got it. Then I was a bit gassed for sets 4 & 5. :)

Standing Side Laterals
30x8/8/8 (increase to 35)
* Nice clean reps, good ROM, no 'english'.

Calf Raise on Leg Press
4PPSx20/20/20 (increase to 4P+25)
* solid reps... almost cramped up but worked through it.

Supplementation
1 Pak Animal Pak
1g Glucosamine
1.5g additional Vitamin C
10g Fish Oil
4 scoops Nitrean
2 scoops Elite Mega Mass

Diet
Pretty bad this past weekend. Had some cookies and apple cide :angel:. All in all feeling pretty good though.

We had our first win since I started playing with the football team this week. Pretty sweet. Before anyone asks, we play with continuous forward passing, which is weird. But shut up and read.

Saturday we played in the mud and the light rain and finally started executing on offense as well as not breaking down on defense. Built up an 8-1 lead by halftime on some methodical drives and consistent defense. I had a couple of receptions, and also fielded a punt that I returned for 30 yards. It kind of surprised me because no one had really pursued the punted ball very hard so I had lots of room. I put one juke move on a slow defender and pump faked, then cut back and got another 10. Then I *almost* made a throw on the run that would have gotten us a TD if the receiver had caught the damn ball. On a later play when I was on defense I crashed a receiver extending for the ball and almost came out with the ball but one of my own guys also had the same idea so it wound up a bit of a mess… my teammate bounced off of me and I essentially ran over the receiver, and had to vault over him as he toppled into the muddy turf. Thankfully no one was hurt but I noticed that after that their QB didn’t throw to whoever I was covering. I don’t know if that’s good or bad…

We had a moment of silence at midfield at halftime, as it was just after 11am, which I thought was pretty classy. We gathered in a loose circle, a couple of us took a knee, and we silently thanked our grandfathers, granduncles and other ancestors that fought, suffered and died that we might know peace and freedom.

I guess my subconscious must have thought it was too easy because early in the 3rd quarter I was back deep fielding another punt, which sailed past me and made it to our 10 (I hadn’t expected the punt to go so deep as all their previous punts were much shallower). I was pinned in the corner and decided to throw, but the wet ball slipped and ball sailed – right into the arms of a defender! I immediately crashed upfield to cut him off but he had a guy behind me (the guy that had initially pressured me into a throw) so he was able to dump it off for a TD. They missed the point after and it was suddenly a tense and tight 8-7.

My teammates must have still had some faith in me after that bad pass because they accepted a playcall I made soon after that gaffe… I lined our normal QB as the X receiver, and had our fastest guy in the left slot, in motion before the snap to make it look like a sweep right. The centre and the tight end were to do deep left outs. I play-fake to the slot and then stop on a dime and rifle one to the normal QB in the X. He fakes the outside run, sucking up defenders short, and then stops and fires one to the TE. That got us in range for a touchdown and we score on the next play. Booya. We wound up winning 21-7 on the strength of that play and an INT that one of our guys returned for a TD.

Despite a very disappointing season, it was nice to play our last game and win, going out on a high note. We definitely have some talent on the team, we just really lack coordination. Well, there are also some guys that are just not football-minded, which makes it hard. For instance, these guys are really reluctant to try a zone defense despite consistently being faced with zone defenses throughout the season when we’re on offense. In this continuous-passing game, zone defense is what can lead to big turnovers and also prevents too many big plays by the other team, where a receiver in pre-snap motion can stretch the defense and sometimes beat the whole team to the sidelines and get away for a score. That said, it IS hard to play a zone with rookies. I don’t know… I’d LIKE to try it with these guys but there’s a lot of resistance.

Feedback

nil

Relentless
11-14-2006, 01:52 PM
I am Relentless - Day 4
Tuesday, November 14 2006

Training
Romanian Deadlifts
375 x 5/5/3/3/3 (increase to 375)
* felt this in my upper back a bit... sort of a hot-wire feeling as a muscle was a bit strained. Not bad reps though.

Leg Curls
225 x 8/5/5
* 225 is pretty heavy; starting to feel this in my knees a bit

Leg Extensions
210 x 20/20/12
* I thought I'd get 20 in set 3 after the way I powered through the first two sets but no such luck... I just completely died on set3.

Dips
BW+25 x 5/5/5/stopped
* OK. Every professional whose advice I have sought said "STOP DOING THESE" and the rationale for the instability seemed to be that I *may* have incipient rotator cuff issues and this could be aggravating it. I tried a couple of tricks to stabilize in the movement but could not get it sorted out. As of next week I will feature a new tricep-centric movement here. Suggestions welcome.

45 x 12/12/9
* could not get much more than last time for some reason. Ah well.

Supplementation
1 Pak Animal Pak
1g Glucosamine
1g additional Vitamin C
10g Fish Oil
4 scoops Nitrean
2 scoops Elite Mega Mass

Diet
Good. Had pot roast and veggies last night.

After years of long commutes, I live 1.2 km from work. But I still have to contend with both traffic and drama on my 'commute'.

On the way in this morning, my usual route was blocked with construction so I had to take an alternate route, doubling my commute time (from 2 mins to 4 mins, LOL!).

On the way into the parking garage, I'm following a Nissan X-Trail and I hit a patch of wet pavement at the bottom of the long ramp. I drive a Jeep YJ, standard, which is both light and RWD. So my rear wheels start spinning. Rather than ease off on the gas, I just keep driving, and the wheels eventually get purchase on the pavement again and I continue up the ramp.

HOWEVER, from the Nissan in front of me, the drive abruptly fires "the finger" out the driver's side door. At first, I thought "Maybe they thought I was making some sort of statement on their slow ass driving by spinning my wheels."

THEN, the driver stops their Nissan at the top of the ramp, blocking me onto the ramp. I yell out my window, "Relax... that wasn't about YOU. I just hit some wet pavement!!". This prompts the driver, who turns out to be a fat, twentysomething blonde in her mid twenties to get out of her little Nissan, storm back to my Jeep and start to harangue me for spinning my tires because she's pregnant and I put her unborn child at risk. I try to explain that it was no big deal, the tires were just spinning and I was in control at all times and she just refuses to listen, and starts threatening to call security and/or the cops. She demands my name and asks if I work at (some podunk call centre that's in the same building complex) so she can report me to my supervisor. I offer to wait around with her if she wants to call the police.

Finally, a old maintenance worker that I know slightly walks up and she starts in on him, pointing at me and yelling. He asks her if I hit her vehicle. She is forced to reply "no" but goes on to describe my insane and reckless driving (spinning my wheels). I sigh, get out of my Jeep and walk over. I look the maintenance guy straight in the eye and say, "Look. I've got a standard transmission, a light vehicle and rear wheel drive. It's wet at the bottom of the ramp. My tires were spinning for a while. It's all fine, no one is hurt."

The old guy smiles at the hysterical blonde and suggests that she move along because we're holding up traffic and no damage was done. She storms off into her little truck and once she turns around, the old guy smiles at me and rolls his eyes. I shrug and smile back.

I hate drama.

I guess that I could have handled this somewhat better but I did not feel that I was in the wrong at ALL. At worst, I scared this person a little and perhaps should have apologized for that but when she got out of her truck and started yelling at me I was not inclined to be nice.

Feedback

Nil.

SW
11-14-2006, 03:42 PM
Whoa dude, sounds like a major bitch there. In other words, training looks great, and I like slovlotzsky's laws!

Anthony
11-15-2006, 06:53 AM
Damn, squat and rdl strength is shooting through the roof!!

I think you handled the situation well... I can't imagine someone giving me the finger because my tire squeaked on wet pavement ... LOL.

Relentless
11-16-2006, 01:42 PM
I am Relentless - Day 1
Thursday, November 16 2006

Bodyweight: 229

Training
T-Bar Rows
170x5/5/5/4/4
* Forgot my journal so I wasn't sure what I was at. Kicked it up to 170 just to be sure. Decent reps.

Machine Rows
210x8/5/5
* OK, I skipped right over 195. But that didn't seem to matter. This was getting heavy though.

Incline DB Press
95x5/4/3/3/3
* Felt pretty good with these; thought I'd get more on the later sets but ah well, so long as I progress next week.

Machine Flyes
210x8/5/5
* This is starting to get heavy...

Seated Lever Calf Press
135x20/20/17
* Wow, this is pretty hard! Not heavy but the lactic acid really builds up.

Supplementation
1 Pak Animal Pak
8 capsules At Large ETS
1g Glucosamine
1g additional Vitamin C
10g Fish Oil
4 scoops Nitrean
2 scoops Elite Mega Mass
10g Arginine alpha-Ketoglutarate

Diet
I found I had a container of NO2 sitting around so I thought I'd give it a try for fun. At the recommended dosage (5 caps 2x day) I only have enough for 18 days! LOL!!

I felt a slightly increased pump my first day on NO2.

Feedback

Nick Hatfield: Yeah, everyone I've spoken to seems to think she was psycho so I won't feel too bad for not being nicer to her.

Anthony: It seems like that, doesn't it? But it's all muscle memory right now. I'm still not back up to my maxes in most lifts. That said, I think I'll be back up in the same range I used to be within a month or two and then I'll start to see some actual progress. I'd like to get my squat up to 405x5. That'd be pretty sweet. :)

Relentless
11-17-2006, 02:20 PM
I am Relentless - Day 2
Friday, November 17 2006

Bodyweight: 230

Training
Squats
315x5/5/5/5/5 (increase to 335)
* Good burst out of the hole, good depth and felt strong throughout.

Leg Press
9PPSx6/5/5
* I'm getting up into the weight range where I question my sanity every time I get under the sled. It truly is a mental game with ME leg stuff.

4PPS+25x20/20/20 (increse to 5PPS)
* Maybe it's the argnine but hot damn my HAMSTRINGS got a pump out of this. Trippy!

EZ Curls
115x5/5/2.5/3/2
* First set was fantastic and all sets after that were a struggle... still, this is the weight I have to work with and I seemed to make progress vs last week.

Seated Hammer Curls
40x8/6/5
* an almost painful bicep pump at this point. COOL!

Supplementation
1 Pak Animal Pak
1g Glucosamine
1g additional Vitamin C
10g Fish Oil
4 scoops Nitrean

Diet
Ramping up calories this week. We'll see if I can hit 240 by Xmas.

Song of the Moment: Trip Like I Do - Filter & Crystal Method

Feedback

Nil.

Unreal
11-17-2006, 02:35 PM
Damn, getting up there.

HeavyBomber
11-17-2006, 06:42 PM
Looking good dude. I like what you're doing and it's good to see the posterior work. I would add good morning also.
Nice work!

Relentless
11-20-2006, 12:58 PM
I am Relentless - Day 3
Monday, November 20 2006

Bodyweight: 231

Training
Chins
BWx5/5/5/5/3.5
* Some struggles here and I failed in midrep on the last set, resulting in a bit of a jerky descent, which strained something in my left elbow (bicep tendon insertion I think). Dammit! I think I may have to go back to assisted and maybe

2PPS+25x8/6/6
* Minor increase.

Arnold Press
75x5/5/3/3/stop
* I definitely ****ed something up in my left elbow. Dammit. It feels like a minor strain though so I think I'm going to be alright.

Standing Side Laterals
35x skipped to save elbow
* I'll get back on this next week

Calf Raise on Leg Press
4PPS+25x20/15/15
* Nice calf pump.

Supplementation
1 Pak Animal Pak
1g Glucosamine
10g Fish Oil
4 scoops Nitrean
2 scoops Elite Mega Mass

Diet
Good on calories, sketchy on content for the weekend. Had a dinner party Saturday night, which was not very clean. The menu:
Spicy Hungarian Paprika shrimp with creamy lime dip
Toasted cranberry focaccia bread with melted brie
Homemade Tourtiere with ginger chutney
Apple Tatin (http://www.lcbo.com/lcbo-ear/RecipeController?action=recipe&language=1&recipeID=528&recipeType=1) with Haagen Dazs Dulce de Leche ice cream (http://www.haagen-dazs.com/segicd.do?productId=73)

It was damn tasty.

I am an idiot for injuring my arm. A refocusing on form and tempo is in order.

Feedback

Unreal: Yeah, thanks. I'll be happier when I get back to my working weights from before on most stuff and then start hitting PRs again.

HeavyBomber: I'm actually doing the RDLs more for hamstrings than for posterior chain. I've done heavy GMs in the past though (again more for hams than pos chain)... GMs with 250+ are big time fun.

Relentless
11-21-2006, 01:56 PM
I am Relentless - Day 4
Tuesday, November 20 2006

Training
Romanian Deadlifts
375 x 5/5/5/5/2
* Ran out of steam on the last set

Leg Curls
225 x 8/8/5
* 225 is pretty heavy; starting to feel this in my knees a bit

Leg Extensions
210 x 20/20/16
* increased reps, felt ok

Tri-Dominant Chest
Experimented with some CGBP but couldn't find a groove and felt very uncomfortable. My shoulders and wrists were in pain. I will find something else.

45 x 12/12/12 (increase to 50)
* Good stuff, here.

Supplementation
1 Pak Animal Pak
1g Glucosamine
1g additional Vitamin C
10g Fish Oil
4 scoops Nitrean
2 scoops Elite Mega Mass

Diet
Continuing mostly good. I am having trouble easily getting the extra calories I want. I may have to start a 3rd shake per day.

Saw a guy doing reps with 4 plates on the T-Bar station I use. I was jealous, because I am only doing 3 plates and a 35. But he had to use straps to move the weight. :)

I also saw a guy doing nice deep, almost ATF squats. It was gratifying to see someone else at the gym doing things well instead of the KOTQS types.

Feedback

Nil.

Relentless
11-26-2006, 08:34 PM
Was out of the gym Thursday/Friday with work.
Saturday we had our season finale for football. Lost the game but had a good time.

Sunday?
Well Sunday was BBQ day. I cleaned my grill and took advantage of some $1.89/lb back ribs that were on sale at the supermarket.

Warning: Food Porn in the attachment. :)

I at almost 4lbs of ribs. Damn that was good!

Anthony
11-27-2006, 07:11 AM
Excellent squatting, but you gotta get out of those sled/ext/curl machines! :p

Ribs look awesome. I'm jealous!

McIrish
11-27-2006, 10:36 AM
I appreciate the levity in your posts here, Relentless, so I think I'll be stopping by to see what kind of progress you're making as you get back into lifting. I also know where you're coming from with the re-dedication - I consider myself someone who is able to quickly become a "journeyman," too, and sometimes I need the extra impetus to progress farther and do more. I'll be coming around here for a well-placed kick in the behind from time to time. Good luck and keep up the solid gains!

silhouette
11-27-2006, 02:28 PM
Um, I hope by Day 4 I'm doing 225x8 on leg curls and 75x5 for Arnold Presses!

Relentless
11-27-2006, 03:04 PM
I am Relentless - Day 1
Monday, November 27 2006

Bodyweight: 231

Training
T-Bar Rows
170x5/5/5/5/4
* Just couldn't quite squeeze out the last rep on the last set. I expect to close this one out next week.

Machine Rows
210x8/8/5
* Good reps, good ROM. Had a minor grip slip issue due to the fact I was sweating like a hog.

Incline DB Press
95x5/5/4/3/3
* Forward progress made. Not as much as I'd have liked, but it wasn't bad.

Machine Flyes
210x8/8/5
* Thought I'd close this one out this week but I just ran out of steam in set 3.

Seated Lever Calf Press
135x20/20/20
* Good reps. Time to throw on another 25lbs.

Supplementation
1 Pak Animal Pak
8 capsules At Large ETS
1g Glucosamine
1g additional Vitamin C
10g Fish Oil
4 scoops Nitrean
2 scoops Elite Mega Mass
10g Arginine alpha-Ketoglutarate (last of it that I'm taking)

Diet
Per my last post, I had a stack of ribs on the weekend. It was damn tasty.

The NO2 is not doing anything other than making me sweaty so I'm not taking it anymore.

Great joke I heard recently:
A mathematician, a biologist and a physicist are sitting in a street café watching people going in and coming out of the house on the other side of the street. First they see two people going into the house. Time passes. After a while they notice three persons coming out of the house. The physicist says, "The measurement wasn't accurate." The biologist says, "They must have reproduced." The mathematician says, "If one more person enters the house then it will be empty."

I am such a nerd.

Feedback

Anthony: Thanks man. I know where you're coming from but I LIKE using some machines. The sense of variety is nice. For things like doing high rep leg extensions on ham-dominant leg day, it provides the opportunity to tax the quad specifically in a high volume fashion without limiting myself by the endurance of, say, my spinal erectors or something.
The ribs were fantastic. Too much sugar in the BBQ sauce, but I figure it was OK.

McIrish: Thanks man. I try not to take anything, including myself, TOO seriously. Again, most of this isn't gains, it's essentially recovering strength. But yeah.

silhouette: Ah but I was only out of lifting for a couple of months. From your intro and journal, you had a much longer layoff. The first couple of months are always the hardest when you get back into lifting. I'm now about 7 weeks back into proper lifting and diet, and I'm starting to hit a groove.

rookiebldr
11-27-2006, 03:45 PM
Scott, I just noticed your profile lists you as Kitchener now. Did you change jobs and/or location? And how's the drive to kitchener?

Relentless
11-28-2006, 02:07 PM
I am Relentless - Day 2
Tuesday, November 28 2006

Training
Squats
335x5/3/3/3/3 (increase to 335)
* After a wobbly rep 5 on set 1 I got a little anxious so I just did triples for the rest. Good depth and good burst.

Leg Press
9PPSx8/6/5
* Forward progress made. Felt pretty good here although my left calf was threatening to cramp up.

5PPSx15/15/12
* Meh, not bad.

EZ Curls
115x5/5/5/3/3
* Much better reps this time... last set was a little sketchy on the first rep but fine otherwise. I was somewhat motivated by an extremely hot blonde babe, mid 30s, who was doing cable-based bicep work in front of me. She was maybe 5'5 or so, maybe 115 or 118, 15-16% BF, most of it in her rockets and her glutes. :drooling: Gray tights, white sport bra/top with a little gray tank over top. Most impressive were the striations that became visible in her delts when she did hammer curls. Pretty sweet.

Seated Hammer Curls
40x8/8/5
* a little better...

Supplementation
1 Pak Animal Pak
1g Glucosamine
1g additional Vitamin C
10g Fish Oil
4 scoops Nitrean

Diet
Contuning with more calories. I think I feel fuller, FWIW.

Song of the Moment: Bloodhound Gang - Uhn Tiss Uhn Tiss Uhn Tiss

Feedback

Jeff: Yup. We're in Kitchener now. The drive is great because - WE LIVE HERE NOW. The company shut down their Toronto office and consolidated with our R&D in Waterloo. Same job, same paycheque, only I live 1.2km from my office now. WALKING distance, really. It's insanely sweet, especially after years of a murderous commute. We now live in a lovely century home in downtown Kitchener, on a nice quiet residential street with massive maple and oak trees, etc. It's picturesque in the extreme. And cheap!!

WBBIRL
11-28-2006, 02:09 PM
Strong workouts, nice work on the squats.

Relentless
11-30-2006, 05:38 PM
I am Relentless - Day 3
Thursday, November 30 2006

Training
Chins
BWx5/5/4/3/2
* Very strict form but overall I was disappointed with the reps. I think I need to install a chinning bar at home and start making a habit of knocking off 5 reps every time I pass it or something. Got to get this improved!

2PPS+25x8/8/5
* Forward progress here. Good stuff.

Arnold Press
75x5/5/4/3/3
* Left bicep tendon insertion was tender but functional. I think I'm still healing from last week.

Standing Side Laterals
35x5/3/stop
* This sucked ass. I don't like the exercise anymore... once I get heavy enough to feel some sort of effort is required to move the weight, form becomes sketchy. I am going to replace this with something else. Suggestions are welcome. I'm thinking maybe push presses. :)

Calf Raise on Leg Press
4PPS+25x20/20/17
* Holy crap. Excellent reps but I had such a pump in my gastrocnemii that it HURT. I see an improvement in the mirror on my calves, so I will continue with progress here. Yay me.

Supplementation
1 Pak Animal Pak
1g Glucosamine
10g Fish Oil
4 scoops Nitrean
2 scoops Opticen

Diet
I decided to throw out the rest of that completely nasty GNC Mega Mass Vanilla and start on the Opticen. The Opticen was much creamier and tastier than any other mass builder protein I've ever had. It was almost TOO thick and creamy. A huge improvement though.

I worked out at 430pm because I was in meetings all day. Holy crap. Turns out more than a few hot babes work out at my gym. :) I guess end of day is meat market time. Anyway, it was a good workout and I managed to stay focused on my lifting and not all the scattered ass around the gym. A couple of hardcore chicks that looked like they might be fitness/figure competitors, actually. Inspirational. ;)

Also got some pointers on RDL form from a couple of guys that were working out and doing RDLs supersetted with 1-leg lunge/DB squats with their other leg on a bench behind them. Hardcore. They really seemed to know what they were doing and they validated my form, depth and lower back arch for my RDLs. Nice guys.

Feedback

WBBIRL: Thanks man. I can't wait for 4 plates. ;)

Anthony
12-01-2006, 06:32 AM
on a nice quiet residential street with massive maple and oak trees, etc. It's picturesque in the extreme. And cheap!!

That's what every home is like around here! :p And there was a recent study saying NBers are the happiest in the country. Go figure!

Relentless
12-01-2006, 11:30 AM
That's what every home is like around here! :p And there was a recent study saying NBers are the happiest in the country. Go figure!

I thought it was just because you guys had more Tim Hortons per capita than any other province!

Anthony
12-01-2006, 11:35 AM
Yeah, my hometown has 30+ ... LOL!

Beast
12-04-2006, 11:31 AM
I worked out at 430pm because I was in meetings all day. Holy crap. Turns out more than a few hot babes work out at my gym. :) I guess end of day is meat market time.
That's exactly the same at my gym... By day it's filled with octogenarians, but by late afternoon all the hot chicas appear. It's like lifting at a totally different gym.

Question: Would it be possible to get a mobile version of WBB.com for the members with smartphones?

Relentless
12-11-2006, 01:21 PM
I am Relentless - Day 1
Monday, December 11 2006

Training
Supported T-Bar Rows
170x5/5/5/5/5 (increase to 180)
* Rocked this set. Guess the week of travel was mostly good for me. Time for 4 plates. Woo!

Machine Rows
210x8/8/6
* Meh; was hoping for more than 1 rep of progress but I won't complain too much. I SHOULD close this out next time though!

Incline DB Press
95x5/5/5/4/4
* Felt much better/stronger through these reps. Excellent, deep ROM. Peak contractions at the top of the ROM.

Machine Flyes
210x8/5/4
* Hm. The wheels kind of fell off here... maybe I was spent from the hard work on the DB Pressing. Ah well, we'll crunch it again next week and see what's what.

Seated Lever Calf Press
160x15/11/10
* Felt much heavier than just an extra 25lbs.

Supplementation
1 Pak Animal Pak
8 capsules At Large ETS
1.5g Glucosamine
1g additional Vitamin C
10g Fish Oil
4 scoops Nitrean
2 scoops Elite Mega Mass

Diet
Pretty sketchy last week. Certainly on par for calories but macros were all over the place and I didn't bring all of my supplements with me while travelling.

Song of the Moment: KMFDM - Mini Mini Mini

---

The trip to Dubai and Abu Dhabi was great. Got to see a (nonrepresentative) slice of the Arab world and made some good business contacts. Dubai is utterly insane. Like Las Vegas it just rises out of the desert in a mass of chrome and steel and glitz. VERY nice hotels and facilities though.

---

I also flew on Etihad, the airline of the Emirates. Holy crap, what opulence. I was "only" in their Pearl Zone (equivalent to Business Class) but their Diamond Zone took it several steps farther.

I had my own private 'berth' with a luxurious seat, complete with LCD screen, etc. The seat was pretty comfortable, and had a variety of adjustment options, including full recline into a flat bed, that was almost perfectly suited to my height. The built-in massage units were also nice.

The menu was superb. I've had worse meals in fine restaurants. Good wine, a selection of thoughtful international and arabic menu options including an amuse-bouche to start and a pretty good wine list to choose from. One meal I had was:

Apertif: Campari with ice
Amuse-Bouche: Some kind of olive tapanade thing with a jellied fish component. Tasty.
Appetizer: A middle east sampler plate thing; had some of the grape-leaf wrapped thingies and 2-3 other selections.
Wine: A 1998 Chilean merlot
Main Course: Pan seared monkfish with rice and veggie
Dessert: Mango-Raspberry cheesecake with espresso
Digestif: a 1991 ruby port

Definitely a step up from the ordinary.

Feedback

Anthony: I tell ya... Timmy's is good for the soul. I was grumpy after my flight(s) home this weekend but after a large Tim's in the airport I felt much better. .

Beast: I can look into it. Not sure if vBulletin can support it.

Beast
12-11-2006, 05:07 PM
I also flew on Etihad, the airline of the Emirates. Holy crap, what opulence.
The Arabs definitely know luxury... Did you get a chance to check out the Burj al Arab hotel?

Relentless
12-12-2006, 02:54 PM
I am Relentless - Day 2
Tuesday, December 12 2006

Bodyweight: 233

Training
Squats
335x5/5/5/4/3
* Reps felt very clean and very strong...

Leg Press
9PPSx8/8/5
* Got some extra reps in here, which was good. Used a slightly higher foot position and a slightly wider stance, which eliminated the calf issues I had last time.

5PPSx20/16/15
* Good increase over last time... was a bit trembly after the last set.

EZ Curls
115x5/5/5/4/4
* A couple more reps and overall they were very clean and very smooth.

Seated Hammer Curls
40x8/8/8 (increase to 45)
* closed this one out... struggled more on set2 than set3 oddly enough. Hm.

Supplementation
1 Pak Animal Pak
1g Glucosamine
1g additional Vitamin C
10g Fish Oil
4 scoops Nitrean
2 scoops Opticen

Diet
Been good the last few days since returning from the Middle East. Made a tasty soup on the weekend -- leek and watercress soup. Basically just leeks, watercress, a little potato, some soup stock, and boil till soft, then puree in the blender, put back in the pot and add a little cream for smoothness. It was damn tasty, with a peppery 'edge' to it from the watercress that I thoroughly enjoyed.

Song of the Moment: The Vines - Ms. Jackson (cover song)

---

Ode to the Stinky Guy at the Gym
Thank you for wearing so much cologne at the gym today. It was certainly at least a slight upgrade over the nauseating smell of ammonia from the cleaning lady as she Windexed the mirrors next to me while I was doing heavy leg press. I admire the way that you complemented your unique brand of stank with 80s clown pants and a cutoff sweatshirt that highlighted your 14" guns. Walking around with ILS after benching those 50lb DBs and dropping them with a crash and a grunt was very effective in ensuring that the whole gym could notice you and benefit from your funk. It takes a special kind of man to pull off blonde frosting atop spikey hair, and you sure seem to be special. I bet that you were one of the favourite passengers of the lady who drove the short bus.

---

Despite having to endure all the typical idiots at the gym today (including Mr. Stinky Cologne), it was interesting to note one experience I had. I was working my way through my 5x5 squats when I was accosted by a skinny guy being given a tour of the gym by one of the airheads from the front desk. He wanted my opinion on the Creatine he had purchased. Apparently, the front desk chick that was giving him a tour had told him it was 'dangerous'.

I shot the front desk chick a look of disbelief and then went on to explain to him, briefly, what creatine actually IS and how he could benefit from it. Then I basically told him that he doesn't really NEED it especially if he's just starting out, but that if he was determined to consume it, to drink lots of water, etc, etc. I went on to recommend that he focus on just eating enough food to support growth as the thing he should really focus on.

It occurred to me afterward that he likely asked me this because I looked like I had a clue about what I was doing. :) Sort of an indirect complement on my appearance and presumably on my lifting form. So rather than being annoyed at an interruption I was instead vaguely gratified. Hm.

Feedback

Beast: Well I drove past it. Didn't have time for a tour and I certainly couldn't afford to stay there. As it was the Dubai Creek Hilton was quite luxurious enough for me.

galileo
12-13-2006, 09:39 AM
I have to make one of those Apple Tatins. Looks phenomenal.

Clifford Gillmore
12-13-2006, 03:24 PM
Very nice sqautting jumps, elbow all good now?

Relentless
12-14-2006, 01:41 PM
I am Relentless - Day 3
Thursday, December 14 2006

Training
Chins
BWx5/5/5/4/3.5
* Better

2PPS+25 x 8/8/8 (increase to +35)
* Felt pretty good although left elbow started to give me grief

Arnold Press
75x5/5/3/stop
* All right. I have officially ****ed up my left bicep tendon or something else in the elbow there. Going to get it checked out. Dammit.

Standing Side Laterals
30xskipped

Calf Raise on Leg Press
4PPS+25x20/20/20 (increase to 5PPS)
* Felt pretty good about this.

Supplementation
1 Pak Animal Pak
1.5g Glucosamine
1g additional Vitamin C
10g Fish Oil
4 scoops Nitrean
2 scoops Opticen

Diet
Good.

Too tired.

Feedback

galileo: Yup. It is kind of trippy how it all coalesces into a near-solid mass. You want another good, easy, and classy recipe?
Try making some sabayon with fresh fruit. I made some of this on the weekend, using a late harvest Vidal and the fruit was papaya, passion fruit, raspberries, fresh figs and pineapple. You can also use a late harvest Riesling or any other late harvest sweet/dessert wine that is light but sweet. Sabayon is very easy to make. First, just heat 5-6 egg yolks in a pot with 1/4c of sugar and whisk constantly. It should eventually grow to about 3 times the original volume. Then add in 1/2c of the wine and keep whipping until it is a big frothy mass. Serve immediately though... if you let it sit, the bubbles will go away and it will become a thin and disappointing syrup.

risk10k:Thanks man. I'm pleased with the rate my strength is recovering on squats. Muscle memory is a beautiful thing. The elbow is officially still FUBAR though.

Relentless
12-15-2006, 03:28 PM
I am Relentless - Day 4
Friday, December 15 2006

AM Bodyweight: 235

Training
Romanian Deadlifts
375 x 5/5/5/5/5 (increase to 405)
* My low back is starting to dislike these despite my strict form. Even with good form this thing thrashes the spinal erectors. I think I will do some work at 405 and then swap this out for something else. Good Mornings? Anyone got other suggestions?

Leg Curls
225 x 8/8/8 (increase to 240)
* Well hm. For a variety of reasons, I was experiencing hellacious DOMS from my leg workout on Tuesday. Mostly in my quads with some elsewhere in my legs. I got setup in the Leg Curl machine and did a rep and then must have made some kind of pathetic mewling noise because the chick doing incline crunches nearby actually stopped and looked at me. The pad of the machine that held my legs down was pressing down on my quads and it hurt like you wouldn't believe. I unlocked myself from the machine and stood up, flashing a cocky "all is right in a world clever enough to contain me so ignore what you just heard" smile at the crunch girl. She smiled back uncertainly and went on with her crunches. I flipped tracks on my mp3 player and found "**** That" by Kid Rock and psyched myself up for the set. Strapped myself back in and ground out 3 solid sets to progress the weight.

Leg Extensions
210 x 20/20/20
* Wow. A step beyond active recovery, this may have increased the DOMS. We'll see. :)

Cybex Advanced Bench (Narrow Grip)
1PPS x 5/5/5/5/5 (increase by +25 per side)
* I think I'll stick with this. Essentially a free-motion plate-loaded machine type thing, there's no cables or anything... it's just lever arms designed to prevent you from killing yourself that are articulated enough you can get a natural ROM in the exercise. Was a bit shaky at first but rapidly warmed to the movement. I expect I'll rapidly increase this at first and then slow down to normal progression.

50 x 12/12/12 (increase to 55)
* Hello triceps pump.

Supplementation
1 Pak Animal Pak
1.5g Glucosamine
1g additional Vitamin C
10g Fish Oil
4 scoops Nitrean
2 scoops Opticen

Diet
Good to Very Good.

No time today.

Feedback

Nil.

Clifford Gillmore
12-16-2006, 01:33 AM
Okay, why no GHR instead of leg curls? Huge ass?

KevinStarke
12-16-2006, 01:47 AM
Heavy romanians man awesome workout.

Relentless
12-18-2006, 02:02 PM
I am Relentless - Day 1
Monday, December 18 2006

Bodyweight: 235 :burger:

Training
Supported T-Bar Rows
180x5/5/4/4/3 (increase to 180)
* Nice reps.

Machine Rows
210x8/8/8 (increase to 225)
* Good solid reps, closed this one out.

Incline DB Press
95x5/5/5/4/4
* No progress here BUT I noticed just before the LAST set that I had the incline set 2 points higher than I typically do, which tends to make this much harder. I expect to close this out next week with a lower incline. :D

Machine Flyes
210x8/5/4
* Bizarre... once again I collapsed on this. It might have been the clenching, spandex-clad glutes of the fitness queen in front of me as she stood on the deadlift platform doing curls with an oly bar. But only maybe.

Seated Lever Calf Press
160x20/15/15
* Ugh. This hurt.

Supplementation
1 Pak Animal Pak
8 capsules At Large ETS
1.5g Glucosamine
1g additional Vitamin C
10g Fish Oil
4 scoops Nitrean
2 scoops Opticen

Diet
Good most of the weekend. I really should add another 500 calories somewhere though if I want to hit 240 by the end of the year. :)

Song of the Moment: Queen - A Kind of Magic

Feedback

Risk10k: They don't have a bench/thing for that at my gym. Although I do have a squatter's ass.

KStarke: Thanks man. I am going to drop them and start doing heavy Good Mornings soon, and we'll see if I can match or better your numbers for those.

KevinStarke
12-18-2006, 02:10 PM
Sounds good man... BRING IT ON!!!!

galileo
12-18-2006, 03:22 PM
I used to do my GHR on a Lat Pulldown bench. The knee holding pads are great for holding your ankles if you can get the angles right. I think Cybex machines were my favorite so far.

Relentless
12-19-2006, 01:51 PM
I am Relentless - Day 2
Tuesday, December 19 2006

Bodyweight: 235

Training
Squats
335x5/5/5/5/5
* Posterior chain was complaining after this. I wonder if doing some lower weight higher rep squats will help this?

Leg Press
9PPSx8/8/8 (increase by +25 per side?)
* Forgot my training book at the office so I decided I had to 'close out' all my weights to make them easier to remember. This was damn heavy.

5PPSx20/20/20 (increase by +25 per side)
* I was bathed in sweat and breathing hard after each set. But I got 'em.

EZ Curls
115x5/5/5/5/5 (increase to 125)
* Closed this sucker out.

Seated Hammer Curls
45x6/5/3
* OK, didn't close this one out. But it was a new weight.

Supplementation
1 Pak Animal Pak
1g Glucosamine
1g additional Vitamin C
10g Fish Oil
4 scoops Nitrean
2 scoops Opticen

Diet
Good for the most part.

Song of the Moment: Rollins Band - Ghostrider

---

I am listening to Henry Rollins because he was in Johnny Mnemonic, which I watched recently. Cool role for him.

Feedback

galileo: That's a good idea... but what about working to failure? Do you face plant on the floor?

KevinStarke
12-19-2006, 05:36 PM
Killer leg day man, strong squats.

Stumprrp
12-19-2006, 05:41 PM
strong leg work man

Relentless
12-21-2006, 12:42 PM
I am Relentless - Day 3
Thursday, December 21 2006

Bodyweight: 235 :burger: :D

Training

Arnold Press
75x5/5/5/5/5 (increase to 80)
* Hells yeah. Doing these first certainly left my elbow feeling better.

Standing Side Laterals
30x8/8/6
* meh... not bad

Chins
BWx5/5/4
* started to feel strain in the elbow again so stopped. I think I may leave off chins for a while and let this situation heal up because it's clearly being exacerbated by chins.

2PPS+35 x 6/6/4
* A decent-size college-age kid was doing these with 2P+10 per side when I asked him if he had many sets left. He had one. When he was done, he asked if I wanted help unloading the weight. It was hard not to smile when I shook my head and added another quarter to each side.

Calf Raise on Leg Press
5PPSx15/15/12
* not too shabby

Supplementation
1 Pak Animal Pak
1.5g Glucosamine
1g additional Vitamin C
10g Fish Oil
4 scoops Nitrean
2 scoops Opticen

Diet
Good.

On my way out of the gym, I was stopped by the front desk girls and they asked about my blazer, which is a dark blue brushed-cotton athletic fit blazer from GAP's winter 2005 line. I was wearing it over an unbuttoned french blue dress shirt and a plain white T.

Front Desk Girl 1 (a voluptuous black girl with very pretty eyes): "We like your velvet blazer."
Me: "Oh it's not velvet. Just brushed cotton. Here..."
<excuse to be fondled by two babes> :D
FDG1: "I have like 14 blazers and I'm always looking out for nice ones."
Me: "Last season, GAP. It was on sale for like $110. A great deal, really."
Front Desk Girl 2 (a petite blonde reminiscent of a shorter, cuter Jessica Cauffiel): "Wow it really brings out your eyes, especially with that shirt."
Me: <looking directly into her eyes> "I know. It's kinda why I bought it."
FDG2: <blushes, smiles>

It's gratifying to know I can still pimp it a little, despite 12 years of marriage. ;)

Feedback

starkers:Thanks man. 405x5 will be mine, oh yes.

strumpet:Yeah, it's not 225x50 but it'll do. ;) I was thinking of competing in the contest until you pulled that off. Sick, just sick!

Relentless
01-02-2007, 01:37 PM
I am Relentless - Day 1
Tuesday, January 2, 2007

Bodyweight: 237 :burger::burger:

Training
Supported T-Bar Rows
180x5/5/4/4/4
* Not too bad. The support really makes it hard to breathe. I may switch to ghetto-style t-bars or something.

Machine Rows
225x8/5/5
* Good effort at a new weight. Clean reps, paused at top and bottom. Felt a bit bad because a New Year's Resolutioner was working on it and I had to work in. Using about 2x what they had loaded. :( I felt a bit bad and hoped they didn't think I was trying to show off.

Incline DB Press
100x5/5/3/3/3
* Decided to bump this up to 100s anyway. :D Felt v. strong at beginning and then tailed off a bit. Good reps though.

Machine Flyes
210x8/8/5
* Finally made progress here. Was hard because forearms were kinda pumped after the heavy DB benching.

Seated Lever Calf Press
160x20/17/10
* lost reps on the last set due to a cramp. Meh.

Supplementation
1 Pak Animal Pak
8 capsules At Large ETS
1.5g Glucosamine
1g additional Vitamin C
10g Fish Oil
4 scoops Nitrean
2 scoops Opticen

Diet
Didn't hit an official 240 by the end of the year, although my BW was over 240 after the large meals. :) Diet was very dirty over the holidays. VERY dirty. Dirty, dirty diet.

Song of the Moment: Black Flag - Rise Above

---

In Vietnam they called them "Cherries". In the gym we see them every January. The hopeful, earnest makers of New Year's Resolutions. Mostly flabby, mostly small, mostly pale and mostly men. Sweating as they grunt through sets of mostly-modest weight. Glancing furtively at more hardcore gymgoers slinging some heavy iron. Glancing less furtively at the spandex-clad fitness bunnies who are monopolizing the cardio machines, the spinning classes and the wobble boards. Telling stories about how they "used to work out" and how they "benched/squatted a lot more before that injury back in 2002".

Good luck Cherries. Here's hoping that you are survivors. Here's hoping that you too can become proper veterans of the gym and watch the next crop of Cherries coming in next January. I might even bother to learn your name, come next fall. If you survive.

Feedback

None.

Relentless
01-03-2007, 12:17 PM
I am Relentless - Day 2
Wednesday, January 3 2007

Bodyweight: 237

Training
Squats
365x3/3/3/1/-
* I don't know why I decided to bump this to 365 instead of 355. But I did. My right hip flexor and part of my right hip went into spasm on the way up after the first rep in set4 so I bailed on the rest. Going to stretch and use hydrotherapy on this area tonight, maybe some yoga and stuff.

Leg Press
10PPS x skipped

5PPS+25 x skipped

EZ Curls
125x5/3/3/2/1
* UGLY as **** but ah well. New weight. My lowback/hip were twinging throughout but not too badly.

Seated Hammer Curls
45x8/6/5
* Forward progress here.

Supplementation
1 Pak Animal Pak
1g Glucosamine
1g additional Vitamin C
10g Fish Oil
4 scoops Nitrean
2 scoops Opticen

Diet
Good for the most part. Had a couple of 10oz steaks for dinner last night. ;)

Meh.

Feedback

Nil.

Beast
01-28-2007, 05:58 PM
Squats
365x3/3/3/1/-
* I don't know why I decided to bump this to 365 instead of 355. But I did.
Huge jump from your last squat weight used... ego lifter. ;)

Sidior
01-28-2007, 07:01 PM
uh oh....not so relentless anymore

updates!

Clifford Gillmore
01-29-2007, 04:26 AM
Yeah, definately fake the GHR's off the lat pulldown station. You will get some strange stares...

Franjipani
01-29-2007, 06:21 AM
uh oh....not so relentless anymore

updates!

:hello: .....been waiting a wee bit too long in here.....I'm figuring its because you are a daddy now ?? ;)

Relentless
03-16-2008, 04:04 PM
Wow. Been a while since I've been in here.
*blows the dust off his journal*

What with the new kid, job transition and many other factors, I haven't been doing anything resembling regular training in a long while. Which isn't to say I've been lying around doing nothing. But no serious, consistent training. I *did* help lead my football team to our first divisional championship in December, which was nice. Moved to SS from MLB and immediately started generating turnovers, with at least 1 INT every game.

So I was back in the gym on Friday. Just the smells and sounds of the gym were invigorating. The clang of 45s on an oly bar. The scent of disinfectant and old sweat. The long-neglected workout mix on the mp3 player. The feel of the bar settling into the space between traps and delts as I load up the bar and do some squats again. It was great.

I did squats, arnold presses, and chinups in a sort of exploratory workout. Nothing earth shattering. Decent squats of varying weights up to 315. Noted my hammies were a little tight. Arnold presses up to 75. The shoulder impingement that frustrated me last year is totally gone. Shoulders feel strong and flexible. I thin crossfitting has been a big factor there. Pullups were crappy. I won't report the embarassing numbers there I was able to manage in consecutive non-kipping bodyweight pullups. Lets just say it was low. More than a couple, but far fewer than i ought to manage.

Today, I have DOMS in a terrible way. Which is to be expected I guess. I am back taking ETS so I don't expect it to last.

Now that I'm back on a schedule again, expect to see more here and more of me around the boards.

Relentless
03-23-2008, 02:48 PM
Did some more training last week, basically just putting the ol' bod through the paces and seeing what's what. Got improvement already on pullups and also was able to deadlift 405 without a hitch so I haven't lost TOO much of what's important to me. ;)