PDA

View Full Version : What's the consensus on low GI post workout?

KingJustin
11-29-2006, 12:18 PM
I've read a couple places that immediately post-workout you should have strictly protein + sugars postworkout, and a couple others that you should have protein + sugars + complex carbs. What is the trade-off, if there is any?

ancom41
11-29-2006, 12:52 PM
Someone correct me if im wrong, but I was under the impression that a mix of whey/casein (whey for quick absorbtion, casein for slow absorbtion during the 48hr window) and something to stimulate insulin levels such as malodextrin or dextrose? I believe the rationale behind the glucose stimulants is to effect cortisol levels. Is this correct?

KingJustin
11-29-2006, 01:30 PM
Well, the glucose is covered in the sugars, which everyone recommends. But, after that, I've read some places that you should also get low GI carbs as well, and other places that you should not. I'm just wondering what the difference is.

Also, I don't think there's any need for casein immediately post-workout, assuming you're eating 100 meals in that 3 hour period post-workout, like I do (when I'm bulking, anyway).

ancom41
11-29-2006, 03:07 PM
Also, I don't think there's any need for casein immediately post-workout, assuming you're eating 100 meals in that 3 hour period post-workout, like I do (when I'm bulking, anyway).

Yea, I could be wrong.

Well, the glucose is covered in the sugars, which everyone recommends. But, after that, I've read some places that you should also get low GI carbs as well, and other places that you should not. I'm just wondering what the difference is.
Malodextrin is broken down into dextrose, and then into glucose i believe - Im not sure how this differs from sugars though. Isnt malodextrin and dextrose technically a complex carb though?

Optimum08
11-29-2006, 03:49 PM
Stick to dextrose/malto + whey for immediately PWO. There is no need for the casein then, and it will actually slow down the absorption of the whey into the body. Then you can have a meal later with low GI carbs. I wouldn't go low GI immediately PWO.

Built
11-29-2006, 04:11 PM
The next Get Built talks about this. Watch for it.

:)

In a nutshell, if the preworkout nutrition is there, post workout needn't be fast carbs.

Stumprrp
12-01-2006, 06:19 AM
I think you guys worry to much, are you gaining? ok! i just do a shake with milk (16oz) 2 scoops of nitrean and a packet of oatmeal, maybe a few scoops of peanut butter.

when i was bulking intensly it was even more calories and carbs, worked.