PDA

View Full Version : raw vs. cooked oatmeal

Ritzol
02-09-2007, 10:45 AM
Obviously, cooked oatmeal yields a higher result of satiety, at least for me... However, does cooking oatmeal, or eating it raw have any bearing on how it is absorbed or digested by the body??

ddegroff
02-09-2007, 05:18 PM
No, I drink ground oats everyday no problem.

camaro68
02-10-2007, 12:41 PM
I blend up oats in my shake every day. No problem with digestion here.

Ritzol
02-10-2007, 04:45 PM
I'm not concerned with digestion. I'm asking how it is absorbed in the body differently if it is eaten raw vs. cooked. For example, more calories are burned digesting actual food than say drinking a protein drink with just protein because the body does not need to work as hard to break down any nutrients.

ArchAngel777
02-11-2007, 12:07 PM
Not sure what you are asking could be proven at this time. No one really knows because I doubt a study has been done with this specific question in mind. Oats RAW Versus Cooked probably yeild the same ammount of calories once digested.

Keep in mind even the foods you do eat can vary by 20% anyway. So, again, all this theory does not good at this point. Eat your oats the way you like them. Lets put it this way, lets say you lose 5% of the calories from one method over the other. Take a average size meal of 600 calories. What is 5% of 600 calories? 30 calories. So, now you have ingested 30 less calories. What type of difference is this going to make on your physique either way? You would have to move well into eating that same meal every day for over a year to see a ~3 pound difference. It is beyond negligable IMO.

Nothing wrong with asking the question, and I always ask things like this just to know, but the bottom line in most cases is that it really doesn't matter.