PDA

View Full Version : speed of conditioning

crazedwombat
02-21-2007, 03:43 PM
This is the situation. I'm currently nice and bulked and working weights to build up size and strength. My cardio is crap, and I know if I switch to cardio conditioning, I'll lose weight but also lose some strength as well.

I know everyone is different and the time it takes to condition is very individual, so I'm asking based on those that have trained seriously and have experience, what have you found takes longer? strength training and weight lifting or cardio conditioning. Whats takes longer to build up

I'm not talking about any goals, just specifically how long it takes your body to train up to any goal whether its longer cardio or lifting.

Maki Riddington
02-21-2007, 04:19 PM
To me it was my conditioning, especially when I was around 220. I

Paul Stagg
02-21-2007, 04:23 PM
Conditioning for sure. I can improve my conditioning from suck to not bad in 4-6 weeks.

Strength takes much longer than that.

crazedwombat
02-21-2007, 05:11 PM
Conditioning for sure. I can improve my conditioning from suck to not bad in 4-6 weeks.

Strength takes much longer than that.

so you're saying that strength training takes much longer than cardio conditioning. For some reason I thought it might be the other way around.

Maki Riddington
02-21-2007, 05:27 PM
It depends on your base and other factors.

For me, because my weight jumped up so quickly I had trouble getting my body used to moving around with 20 extra pounds. My strength went up rapidly because I was bulking and lifting heavy weights.

Built
02-21-2007, 05:46 PM
I guess it depends on what you think of as cardio conditioning.

I used to jog 10k 3x a week. It took me four months of training to go from zero to running a (very, very slow) 10k.

My strength training was non-existant, and it took me a LOONG time to build up any kind of strength once I started - like, YEARS.

A nice perk I've noticed from strength-training is that my cardio conditioning comes up a lot faster now than it used to. And I sure as hell didn't get YOUNGER!

crazedwombat
02-22-2007, 06:57 AM
hah built well you look younger with every inch of growth :), well by cardio conditioning I mean in stamina and explosiveness. Not long distance running. For example 5 5 min rounds in a fight, and not gassing out. That kind of conditioning.

ericg
02-22-2007, 09:39 AM
Ive heard while I was in football camp back in HS that its easier/faster for someone to gain endurance compared to strength/power.

I think crossfit did some research on how someone from a strength background adapts to CF WODs compared to someone from an endurance background and they found that the strength group adapts quicker. This is something ive read a while back so take it with a grain of salt.

Built
02-22-2007, 02:36 PM
It seems consistent though, with what I've read on the boards and with my own experience. I can't IMAGINE doing HIIT with any kind of intensity if I didn't have a good solid base from deads, squats and chins.

Sensei
02-22-2007, 02:42 PM
Hard to compare but, depending on your current level of conditioning, you can make huge VO2Max increases in 4 weeks. How much you can improve (in terms of lbs) in a given exercise will depend on a lot of things.