PDA

View Full Version : Advanced Cutting Strategies by Jimmy Smith - April 1st 2007

Joe Black
04-01-2007, 04:50 AM
Do you want to learn how to take your body to the next level? Jimmy Smith talks about how to incorporate nutritional strategies that will be sure to change your body!

http://www.wannabebig.com/article.php?articleid=301

Enjoy!

Daniel

RedSpikeyThing
04-02-2007, 07:15 PM
I'm definately not in the "advanced cutting" class of people, but I found this article very enlightening. It got me to read Berardi's G-Flux (http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=909183) article, which is excellent! I can't believe how simple of a concept it is - eat more and exercise more. Combine it with the carb cycling that Jimmy outlines in his article you'll be one kick ass athlete.
I've never been more motivated to do cardio than I am right now....maybe this motivation will last longer than a few days ;)

Vapour Trails
04-03-2007, 11:50 AM
G-flux is widely ridiculed, as is Berardi.

The article is recycled ideas with a worse and vague implementation plan combined with some pure speculation.

Low carb? How low? High carb day? How much?
Cheat meals, how much, how often? Macro breakdown?
Those are pretty half-assed depletion workouts. A real full body depletion is 90 minutes long and consists of about 700 total reps.
The only thing I think is good about the article is the idea that diets need refeed periods with intense training - something that has been around for years already.

RedSpikeyThing
04-03-2007, 12:51 PM
G-flux is widely ridiculed, as is Berardi.

I don't know much about G-Flux's reputation, but I do know that Berardi is very highly respected. Where are you getting this idea from?

Jimmy Smith
04-03-2007, 05:59 PM
I'm definately not in the "advanced cutting" class of people, but I found this article very enlightening. It got me to read Berardi's G-Flux (http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=909183) article, which is excellent! I can't believe how simple of a concept it is - eat more and exercise more. Combine it with the carb cycling that Jimmy outlines in his article you'll be one kick ass athlete.
I've never been more motivated to do cardio than I am right now....maybe this motivation will last longer than a few days ;)

Thanks for the feedback. If you notice in the article I do not suggest an entire G-Flux like dieting. Rather, I imply that we need to use the principles of G-Flux to prevent the issues that arise from dieting.

wannabeabigboy
04-11-2007, 03:56 PM
will this diet be effective for fat loss if im not exactly lean to begin with?

PoutineEh
04-12-2007, 05:08 AM
personally, i find these cyclical diets that include depletion workouts etc. are harder than just regular dieting. it would probably be easier on you and just as effective as to do a regular diet and then when you start to get into just having stubborn fat to lose, to then give these harder diets a try (this diet and UD 2.0 come to mind).

Jimmy Smith
04-12-2007, 11:05 AM
will this diet be effective for fat loss if im not exactly lean to begin with?

It will be effective but not anymore effective then a low carb diet for some who has 15+ pounds to lose. This diet is for those who want to go from lean to ripped.

Jimmy Smith
04-12-2007, 11:06 AM
personally, i find these cyclical diets that include depletion workouts etc. are harder than just regular dieting. it would probably be easier on you and just as effective as to do a regular diet and then when you start to get into just having stubborn fat to lose, to then give these harder diets a try (this diet and UD 2.0 come to mind).

Exactly, I want people to realize that this article was written with the guy or girl in mind who looks better then 90% of people already but wants to get even leaner.

teenathlete3030
04-14-2007, 02:33 PM
Get lean and gain muscle, I like it. I found it a little confusing though.

Can this diet be accomplished with only 2 heavy lifting days, dedicated for strength/power and not hypertrophy, along with two days that focus on speed/agility work but not lifting?

Is it basicly saying to eat more the days you lift and less the days you don't? Along with eating carbs the day before a heavy workout? I'm confused.

Jimmy Smith
04-14-2007, 03:21 PM
Get lean and gain muscle, I like it. I found it a little confusing though.

Can this diet be accomplished with only 2 heavy lifting days, dedicated for strength/power and not hypertrophy, along with two days that focus on speed/agility work but not lifting?

Is it basicly saying to eat more the days you lift and less the days you don't? Along with eating carbs the day before a heavy workout? I'm confused.

If you are an athlete, I'd advise against this diet. It is purely for those looking to improve their physique. As an athlete you should aim to decrease your bodyfat but not to the levels or through the means that physique minded individuals do.

teenathlete3030
04-14-2007, 04:04 PM
OK, in that case, I think I'll bulk.

Jimmy Smith
04-15-2007, 09:42 AM
OK, in that case, I think I'll bulk.

Give it a try and let me know how it goes.

Con
04-15-2007, 02:37 PM
It will be effective but not anymore effective then a low carb diet for some who has 15+ pounds to lose. This diet is for those who want to go from lean to ripped.

Just wondering why you chose to phrase it like that? Are you an advocate of low carb diets?

Paul Stagg
04-15-2007, 05:00 PM
I would think even Mr Smith would agree with me - If you don't have the basics down, no specific 'get ripped' diet is going to be particularly effective.

Are you 220 pounds at 10% bodyfat? Or are you 160 pounds at 17% bodyfat?

The first guy might be able to take this article and get jacked for summer, or get closer to getting on a bodybuilding stage. The second guy needs to stick to the basics of sound nutrition - apply the basics, slowly and surely get bigger and leaner over time.

Con
04-16-2007, 04:42 AM
Not sure if you comment was at all directed at me Paul, but I agree with you. I was simple curious why he said low carb, and not low calorie.

Jimmy Smith
04-16-2007, 02:50 PM
Just wondering why you chose to phrase it like that? Are you an advocate of low carb diets?

It was phrased this way in response to some one asking if they should use it even though they aren't at lean levels yet. I wouldn't advocate anyone using who isn't already below 8-10% for a male and 12-15% for a female. Reason being is because they can achieve rapid fat loss and body recompostion gains through just correct diet and increased energy expenditure alone. If they used this diet to get from 20% to 10% then what would they use to get from 10% to 7%, ya know?

Jimmy Smith
04-16-2007, 02:51 PM
I would think even Mr Smith would agree with me - If you don't have the basics down, no specific 'get ripped' diet is going to be particularly effective.

Are you 220 pounds at 10% bodyfat? Or are you 160 pounds at 17% bodyfat?

The first guy might be able to take this article and get jacked for summer, or get closer to getting on a bodybuilding stage. The second guy needs to stick to the basics of sound nutrition - apply the basics, slowly and surely get bigger and leaner over time.

Perfectly said

Jimmy Smith
04-16-2007, 02:52 PM
Not sure if you comment was at all directed at me Paul, but I agree with you. I was simple curious why he said low carb, and not low calorie.

I'm not a low calories fan, even with dieting. Now granted, you are going to have to decrease calories to lose fat but I'm going to keep calories relatively stable until I see stalled fat loss.