PDA

View Full Version : Good Carbs vs. Bad Carbs

blustring
02-25-2002, 07:48 AM
What is the difference between good carbs and bad carbs, and what are some examples?

The_Chicken_Daddy
02-25-2002, 09:12 AM
good carbs = nutrient dense eg oats

bad carbs = nutrientless eg table sugar

D&G
02-25-2002, 09:16 AM
I don't think there are any bad carbs - they can all have their uses at different times.

The_Chicken_Daddy
02-25-2002, 09:19 AM
like?

TreeTrunks
02-25-2002, 09:22 AM
Good carbs=Low GI

Bad carbs=High GI

Whats GI? Look it up.

D&G
02-25-2002, 09:40 AM
Nothing wrong with table sugar post-workout.

The_Chicken_Daddy
02-25-2002, 10:54 AM
and you use it regularly?

syntekz
02-25-2002, 11:05 AM
I'm with D&G. Timing is everything.

D&G
02-25-2002, 02:24 PM
Yes I do use table sugar regularly - I have some on my oats in the morning - people harp on about fast/slow proteins but the same does apply to carbs - there is nothing wrong with having high GI carbs as part of a meal.

It is the GI of the meal that counts - not just the carbs of it - fats and protein lower the GI of the whole meal so there is really no problem with some sugars.

If we were to say high GI carbs were bad that would mean drinking a glass of fresh OJ would be a no-no.

First thing in the morning after fasting for several hours I like to have some fast and slow carbs - fast from some sugar on my oats and a glass of fruit juice. The rest of the carbs come from milk/oats. High Gi carbs are beneficial at this time.

Post-workout you also want high GI carbs to replace glycogen and give an insulin spike. I usually use dectrose because it isn't quite as sickly as table sugar but does the same job.

Apart from first thing in the morning and post-workout the majority of carbs I have will be complex low GI - aside from maybe a glass of fruit juice.

aeckhardt
02-25-2002, 03:07 PM
Protein and Fat may lower the GI, but protein raises the Insulin respsonse so your a little off on that point.

If your eating sugar and a glass of orange juice in the morning your probably getting to much fructose. Tablesugar is about 50% fructose.

High Gi carbs would be beneficial postworkout, but in this case dextrose is better than tablesugar not because it tastes better but because you don't want fructose postworkout. That is, unless you are bulking. In such an instance, a minute amount of fructose would be beneficial postworkout to make your body think it is in a full/anabolic state.

Juice is basically bad all the time. This is because you should limit fructose intake to only small amounts, say a piece of fruit a day, and that's only when bulking. Plus, juice usually is devoid of nutrients by the time it reaches your refrigerator shelf. You might as well just drink soda and get the carb rush from that.

Cackerot69
02-25-2002, 04:01 PM
Good carbs = low GI, glusose based complex carbs. Oats, rice, and stuff.

Bad crabs = low or high GI non-glucose based carbs. Fruit, table sugar, and stuff.

And yeah timing is important. Like these non-glucose bad carbs can be good in da morning or before bed if you haven't eaten beforehand....but other than that - pffft.

And don't mess with chigs, he's dangerous.

D&G
02-26-2002, 02:26 AM
That is the first time I have ever seen anyone say you should limit fruit consumption - havd you not heard that fruit is good for you?

Cackerot69
02-26-2002, 05:28 AM
Of course I've heard that, it's just not true. The vitamins and other assorted phytochemicals and stuff are good, but the carb source isn't very good for BBs.

D&G
02-26-2002, 05:47 AM
Man has been eating fruit for generations - the benefits of fresh fruit outway the cons IMO - I always stive to get plenty of fruit and veg into my diet.

I know fructose is not a good carb source - but I eat several hundred g of carbs per day so the amount that actually comes from fructose is not that significant overall - the fructose is always had with more complex carbs, fats and protein.

Overall most fruit such as apples/oranges contain a low GI - apples and oranges score pretty low on the GI.

Quote:

"Bad carbs=High GI"

"High Gi carbs would be beneficial postworkout"

Those 2 quotes were posted by different people - high GI carbs are not 'bad'. High GI carbs have their place as do low GI carbs.

Therefore as my original point stated there isn't 'bad' carbs as such.

Cackerot69
02-26-2002, 06:10 AM
Man has been pooping in the woods for generations too, should be continue this trend?

I agree that a small amount of fruit in your diet isn't really going to break your diet, but fructose is a bad carb as opposed to glucose. You can only eat much less because of how it preferentially saturates liver glyco....then when thats full (after about 75-100g) you gain some fat, and thats not very cool.

I also think that the type of carb is more important than the GI, personally. Like you should eat a high GI complex/glucose based carb before a low GI simple/fructose based.

Of course as I'm telling you this I'm eating an extremely tasty meatball sub.

D&G
02-26-2002, 06:24 AM
Originally posted by Cackerot69
Man has been pooping in the woods for generations too, should be continue this trend?

Wavering from the point slightly there - but when generations of people have eaten something then surely there is adaption. There is problems with diabetes now due to the differences in food production. Obviously now you have pesticides and such like but thats a whole other can of worms. I confess I did once poop in the woods but that was a long time ago.

"I agree that a small amount of fruit in your diet isn't really going to break your diet"

I know that when I am cutting I will go very easy on the fruit - but as you said fruit contains vitamins and phytochemicals which are good - so if it doesn't spoil the (bulking) diet and contains these beneficial factors then where does that leave your earlier comment that fruit isn't good for you?

Eating a piece of fruit doesn't really give you that many carbs - because the fruit is mostly water and pulp. It is true however that fruit juice is loaded with carbs. I would therefore say that fruit is good for you but fruit juice should be kept to a minimum. Most of the beneficial factors are lost when going from whole fruit to fruit juice. Fruit juice may be bad but so is a meatball sub - we have them because we like them - I wouldn't worry about 1 meatball sub either - every time I plan a KFC visit I have thoughts about how much Lee Priest could eat there and I usually blow a couple of hours wages - but of course I don't have the fizzy drinks - just water.

Pup
02-26-2002, 06:27 AM
Lemme make this real simple, the point of carbohydrate timing is insulin sensitivity. If you eat a high GI carb based diet, you will need high gi post workout, because your insulin has already crashed from the heaps of sugar you just pumped in your body. Now, if you eat a lower GI diet, your insulin is more stable, and thus you won't need the high gi post workout. You can eat high gi if you would like, but the chances of you ever being in single digits with regards to bodyfat isn't real likely.

Cackerot69
02-26-2002, 06:38 AM
Well I never liked that whole paleolithic stuff, we ate whatever the fook was available. If big macs were available we would have eaten them too. We were always walking around and working doing physical things so of course we were lean. I pooped in the woods too, at my grandmas house....it was sort of fun now that I think about it.

In a bulking diet fruit would be a bad idea because you already have a lot of carbs going in. Your liver is going to be at least 50% saturated almost at all times and eating fructose will just easily spill over and make ya a fat ass in time. I remember when I first started this dieting thing I was eating all these complex and good carbs then I was sick of stuffing my face till I was about read to puke...so I figured "Hmm, I'll just drink some orange juice instead"...and I got fat. It sucked.

As for the missing out on the vitamins and phytochemicals and such, taking a multivitamin covers basically everything. Phytochemicals are in all plants (phyto = plant) so if you eat your oats and mized veggies you should have no deficiencies.

A "medium" sized fruit has about 25g of carbs, and depending on the fruit a percentage of that is pure fructose. That adds up after a meal or two, your liver glyco becomes saturated, and the rest just goes to your gut.

Meatball subs are very anabolic, and I'm too damn lazy to cook chicken.

Budiak
02-26-2002, 07:18 AM
I heard bananas are different for some reason. Anybody care to explain?

I love my bananas. Hells jeah.

D&G
02-26-2002, 07:39 AM
a green banana is complex carbs - as the skin gets browner the carbs get simpler.

Tryska
02-26-2002, 07:41 AM
fruit is a better carb choice than grains...

Cackerot69
02-26-2002, 07:45 AM
Bollox.

Pup
02-26-2002, 07:47 AM
:nod: