PDA

View Full Version : Carbs and High Protien Requirements

Stumprrp
05-17-2007, 09:45 AM
WBB...

Ive been following my diet lately, not in a good way as in eating clean because i dont do that but just noticing the foods im eating...

What it seems is my carb count far exceeds my protien count when it comes to todays "standards" of eating for strength and size. Im barely taking a protien shake anymore (2-3 times a week??) and just eating everything, for example for breakfast ill just eat cereal, orange juice, eggs, milk, whatever, and not really paying attention to the amount of protien im getting, however because of the sheer amount im sure its "enough".

According to the book im reading, which is a great one i might add "advanced sports nutrition" they advocate a large large amount of carbs for strength athletes, actually 5-700 carbs a day and only about 200 grams of protien, carbs should be eaten frequently after workout (3-4 hours) with amounts such as 60-80 grams.

Anyways, my point being is the protien requirement really necessary? do you really need 3-400 grams of protien and only 200 grams of carbs?? my strength and size has never been better and im barely getting 200 grams of protien a day, carbs seem far more important to the diet of a bodybuilder/powerlifter.

good carbs that is... (mmm ice cream)

Holto
05-17-2007, 09:59 AM
I've posted this before and it's really no more than a random thought.

1 lb of muscle is around ~112 grams of protein and the remaining mass is water. So in essence to gain 1lb of LBM you only need 112 grams over daily requirements. Take into account that it takes a good while to put on an actual lb of LBM and you can see how folks can gain with moderate protein intakes.

I think for the average bb just trying to get protein at each meal and eating frequently should put you into moderate to high intake levels.

sharkall2003
05-17-2007, 11:48 AM
Every book I've read suggest that you need no more than .8 grams of protein/lb bodyweight. I think the whole 1-1.5 is just to make sure. Most of the carbohydrate restrictions are in place for fat loss. Because that's the easiest way of reducing calories.

Stumprrp
05-17-2007, 12:09 PM
holto - this makes plenty of sense
shark - i also feel its a security issue

Nosaj
05-17-2007, 02:32 PM
I agree with the security issue. However, I would not drop under 1g protein/lb bodyweight. That's just a bare minimum that I feel should be met, I mean how f'in easy is 200g protein? As far as carbs go, carbs are amazing for strength. The more carbs I eat, the more energy and strength I have. I add plates worth of weight to my lifts when I am bulking compared to cutting, and it's mostly the difference in an abundance of carbs.

One comment about your diet. I think you'd be a lot better off with a set diet of some sort. I know you don't care about eating clean, and fat gain doesn't bother you, but why not just eat food that tastes good but you can record it on a daily basis? Plan and count out favorite meals, burgers, cereal, juice, etc. whatever... but just keep track of it all so you know exactly what you're getting rather than "I'm sure it enough, I eat a ton." You could still be satisfied with eating food you like, but allow yourself to tweak and record your dietary progress for future manipulation.

Mr. D
05-17-2007, 03:35 PM
Ive read some studies taht Lyle McD has posted that when on caloric surplus the need for protein isnt so great. Its when you are on caloric deficit, that protein needs to be high.

Most people, insulin resistant aside, grow well on high carb diet. Thats the best part of bulking: all the carbs you can eat.

Stumprrp
05-17-2007, 04:52 PM
jason - its not as bad as you think, when i say i eat everything it doesnt mean i eat candy chips cookies soda all that stuff, but lets say a burger or chocolate milk im gonna tax that ass...