PDA

View Full Version : Eating the SAME day in and day out?? Opinions

Evyllchyld
05-27-2007, 09:28 PM
I'm interested in getting opinions and thoughts on this. I used to be 242 lbs of pure fat! lol I lost 60 lbs and got down to 182 with no muscle what so ever so i still have some fat. for about 4 months i've been going to the gym with my friend whos been going for 8 years. So I guess what i'm getting at is that I don't know how to eat. I'm extremely lazy when it comes to cooking so i don't... EVER. People call me jared, because all i eat is subway and i wanted your thoughts on how good (which I doubt) or bad it is for you. I eat this EVERY day, the exact same thing every day w/o any change. and this is my breakdown.

When I wake up (around noon) i get:
6" wheat bread
Over roasted chicken breast
spinach
tomato
onion
light on the oil and vinegar

a bag of the baked lays potato chips
water

At around 2:00:
A protein shake which consists of a scoop of protein powder and a cup of milk

At around 6:00:
The same thing that I had at noon
6" wheat bread
spinach
tomato
onion

a bag of the baked lays potato chips
water

at 8:15 i goto the gym

at around 10:30PM
The same thing i had earlier in the day but with double chicken breast but w/o the chips

6" wheat bread
spinach
tomato
onion

water

Then around 12:00-2:00AM
I have another protein shake

I've done nothing but this and to me it seems fine but i really doubt it is, I also take multivitamins. as you can see its very basic but its convenient and easy for me.. and its also better then the mcdonalds i used to do twice a day.

rhett2go
05-28-2007, 05:26 AM
I'm interested in getting opinions and thoughts on this. I used to be 242 lbs of pure fat! lol I lost 60 lbs and got down to 182 with no muscle what so ever so i still have some fat. for about 4 months i've been going to the gym with my friend whos been going for 8 years. So I guess what i'm getting at is that I don't know how to eat. I'm extremely lazy when it comes to cooking so i don't... EVER. People call me jared, because all i eat is subway and i wanted your thoughts on how good (which I doubt) or bad it is for you. I eat this EVERY day, the exact same thing every day w/o any change. and this is my breakdown.

I've done nothing but this and to me it seems fine but i really doubt it is, I also take multivitamins. as you can see its very basic but its convenient and easy for me.. and its also better then the mcdonalds i used to do twice a day.

what are you trying to achieve? add muscle, loose fat, maintain? to truly know you should input ALL of that into www.fitday.com and see where you are with respect to cals, fat, and carbs.
what is your age and stats now?

rhett

Evyllchyld
05-28-2007, 06:02 AM
Well, I did the fitday.com thing and this is what it showed:

Totals cal: 2026 fat: 44 carbs: 219 protein: 185

Right now alls I'm trying to do is add muscle with as little fat as possible. I'm 22 and lets just say extremely weak for the sake of saving myself some dignity lol

Noxon
05-28-2007, 07:13 AM
Cals are probably pretty good for fat loss, maybe a little low. You need to figure out your lean body mass (1 - BODYFAT% * WEIGHT) and that will help you determine your calorie needs.

Your fats are too low... Try adding some peanuts to your diet. :) Your fats should be probably be around 60g or more based on what you've told us. Increase protein a bit and try to decrease carbs. You don't need that many carbs and increasing your fats is going to jack your cals up. Maybe get one of your Subway meals sans bread (Lettuce wrap or something).

What are your current stats? Height, weight, body fat? Nothing to be ashamed of here. Almost everybody at this site has been out of shape at some point. I'm out of shape right now (Check my journal if you don't believe me). The important thing is making positive change, not dwelling on the negative.

Good luck! :)

EDIT: Okay, just saw that you're trying to add muscle. Your cals are way too low for this... You really need to figure out your LBM before you try to adjust your current diet. Your current diet is not awful, but it's almost a certainty that if you are an active person you are in a caloric deficit.

Personally, since you are going from being overweight to being fit, I would trim the fat first and then build muscle. It will make it easier to add lean muscle without adding fat, and you will feel better about yourself while you do it. If you don't want to be in a caloric deficit for long, then just shoot for 15 to 20% body fat and call it even... You will look good and feel good. You're already in a caloric deficit... So this would not involve cutting any of your diet out. Just adjust it a bit so you have more fats and proteins and less carbs. Make sure they're good fats, though! Peanuts are easy!

Oh yeah... And the potato chips. If you really like them, then that's fine and all, but I think for the calories you are consuming in those bags of potato chips you could probably add a few more small meals throughout the day and you might find yourself more satisfied. This could also be a point where you could substitute some fat and protein for carbs in your overall intake.

For example, if you simply nixed the potato chips, got one of your sandwiches without bread and then consumed 1 oz of peanuts with your protein shakes throughout the day, you would probably find yourself feeling just as (or more) full and your macros would be 'better'.

Of course, the best diet of all is the one you can stick to, so if my advice makes your stomach turn then write it off and find something that works for YOU.

Evyllchyld
05-28-2007, 11:36 AM
Noxon - thanks for the response.

I LOVE almonds, and from time to time i'll buy raw almonds and eat a palm full at a time. I eat the potato chips just cause they are there, no real reason behind it. I was thinking about the idea of changing one of the subs into a salad during the day cause i know my carb intake is way to high.. and maybe all into salads which would cut out a ton of carbs and calories so I could eat more during the day. But i'm always full which i'm happy about thats why i've been eating like this for 6 months now. I was thinking about losing the rest of my weight first so i looked better, for myself. Anyways.. I noticed you have AIM so I think i'll IM you.

Sensei
05-28-2007, 11:53 AM
You get up at noon? Do you work?

You really should learn how to cook... I'm not trying to be a jerk, but I just can't imagine eating sandwiches every single day and every single meal... I can't say it's the "typical American", but I would say the majority of the young people I talk to hardly eat any fruits and vegetables at all. On top of that, they are extremely picky about food and unwilling to try anything new... When I can get them to try something new, I almost always have to deal with "the face" - it doesn't matter whether someone has spent an hour making it for them or not... The most exercise a lot of them get is walking from their room to the car and from the car to the mall. Crappy, crappy eating habits and almost zero exercise.... but it's all genetic, of course. Ok, enough ranting.

Learn how to eat well but without going nutso. Get a basic cookbook - Betty Crocker, etc. are a good place to start. Don't be lazy about what you eat - enjoy food and trying new foods. Make exercise a regular part of you life - whether that's walking to school or work or going to the gym.

Sensei
05-28-2007, 11:54 AM
btw, I meant to say nice job in losing all that weight. I don't like the way you did it, but you certainly can't dispute the results!!!

Evyllchyld
05-28-2007, 12:03 PM
I actually lost my weight when I lived at home with my mother. I went to weight watchers with her and lost 60lbs in like 4 months. I moved out of my mothers and work at home for a website. I already goto the gym 4x a week. The reason I eat subway is cause I absolutely hate cooking and the cleanup so I figured this is a lot easier, and since its free that saves me a TON of money when I don't have a lot of money to deal with.

I also forgot to mention, that I try anything and everything put in front of me. I used to be a typical kid who didn't like to try new things. Just cooking really isn't an option... I'll buy the food and cook for 2-3 days and the rest will just go bad and I'm not gonna get into details, but I don't have the money to waste on food like that. So free subway is easy for me lol

Mr. D
05-28-2007, 12:24 PM
Honestly man, there is no better invention than the Foreman Grill. You can grill lean meats (chicken breasts, fish,etc) and veggies on the side of it. Once done, add a tbsp or so of olive oil on top, sprinkle italian seasoning and red wine vinegar and you have a great meal. For variety you can substitute cut an avocado instead of olive oil, sprinkle ground cumin and squeeze a lemon. There are so many things to do.

Clean up is wiping down the grill and wiping down the cutting board.

Veggies I love to grill: eggplant, broccoli,cauliflower, green beans, bellpeppers.

Eat veggies, protein,and some fats and if your macros allow some starchy carbs in your meals.

Add fish oil supplements too!

Congrats on the weight loss, now its time to look good with the shirt off...

JustLost
05-28-2007, 01:46 PM
You get up at noon? Do you work?

You really should learn how to cook... I'm not trying to be a jerk, but I just can't imagine eating sandwiches every single day and every single meal...

Learn how to eat well but without going nutso. Get a basic cookbook - Betty Crocker, etc. are a good place to start. Don't be lazy about what you eat - enjoy food and trying new foods. Make exercise a regular part of you life - whether that's walking to school or work or going to the gym.

Great advice. Anybody who cares at all about nutrition needs to learn how to cook.

Evyllchyld
05-28-2007, 03:39 PM
Great advice. Anybody who cares at all about nutrition needs to learn how to cook.

I didn't say that I didn't know how to cook anywhere in this post I don't believe. I know how to cook, just despise it... the only thing I hate more is cleanup

Sensei
05-28-2007, 03:56 PM
Dude, I thought you wanted people's opinions... What do you want? Everyone to say "Yeah, the Jared plan is a good one - stick with that."?

If you are eating the same thing day in and day out, your diet is, most definately, lacking... It could be A LOT worse, but it could be A LOT better. I understand that you DON'T WANT to cook, but trust me, you'll make your life a lot better if you get off your lazy ass and cook. You say cooking is not an option - that's a bull**** cop-out.

JustLost
05-28-2007, 04:10 PM
I didn't say that I didn't know how to cook anywhere in this post I don't believe. I know how to cook, just despise it... the only thing I hate more is cleanup

Life is hard sometimes.

lifter4life
05-28-2007, 04:10 PM
it's true, you're just making excuses. You don't have to be an expert chef to cook man. I pop 8 ounces of chicken into the oven sprinkled with some seasoning then eat some raw veggies and I am done. Clean up is 5 minutes of my 24 hour day.

All in all, you can either waste your time in the gym with crappy nutrition (because you aren't going to gain/lose/whatever (consistently) if you don't have the nutrition down), or else you can brush up on Martha Stewart Living and show those kids from HS at your 10 yr reunion what a stud you are.

JustLost
05-28-2007, 06:31 PM
Evyllchyld,

What do the calories and macros add up to for the daily food you posted?

Noxon
05-28-2007, 08:28 PM
Why are you guys jumping down his throat? I mean, I balked at the McDonald's thread (Which nasty, greasy chicken sandwich on stale bread with 'mayo' is best!?! lol.), but this guy is really not doing much wrong with his macros and stuff. Yes, it's prepared food and a canned, trendy diet, but that doesn't mean his arms are going to fall off mid-rep.

And........

The reason I eat subway is cause I absolutely hate cooking and the cleanup so I figured this is a lot easier, and since its free that saves me a TON of money when I don't have a lot of money to deal with.
He's 22, Subway is free and his macros are decent. Do we really need to analyze this further?

You guys were in your early 20's, right? Once? Whole foods are expensive. I've survived on a diet of Ramen, bagged dry beans and free bar food like hot wings and pizza for years of my life in the past just because I was poor and it cost me 50 cents or less a day to sustain myself.

Obviously it is impossible to beat a diet that is free, but let's say we give him $100 a month in food budget (Which is more than I had at my disposal at some points)... Do you really think you can even come close to his posted macros with whole foods on a hundred bucks a month? Probably not. I know that I spend well over a hundred a week when I'm not on a cut, and I don't binge eat. On my cuts, I usually spend $75 to $100 a week on food. I could do it for less, sure, but not that much less. Meat in particular is a killer.

To be honest, if I had access to free Subway whenever I wanted, I'd probably be eating it, too. Not all the time, but pretty damn often. Sorry to rock the boat. =/ I told myself I wouldn't be controversial until I got past 100 posts, but really, this guy needs advice that fits him and not a canned "eat whole foods" response.

Sensei
05-28-2007, 08:39 PM
Why are you guys jumping down his throat?

To be honest, if I had access to free Subway whenever I wanted, I'd probably be eating it, too. Not all the time, but pretty damn often. Sorry to rock the boat. =/ I told myself I wouldn't be controversial until I got past 100 posts, but really, this guy needs advice that fits him and not a canned "eat whole foods" response.What advice does he need? He doesn't - that's why I jumped down his throat.

I agree. If I had access to free Subway, I'd be eating there everyday...BUT NOT EVERY MEAL. Sure, his macros are probably ok, but his micros are definately not where they could be.

If someone asks for advice, I try to give good advice - not what the OP wants to hear. It pisses me off if someone asks for advice and then say "Nah, I'll just keep on doing what I'm doing". It's fine if they don't agree but just say "Ok, thanks for the input. I'll look into that." - don't get defensive and then dismiss the advice flippantly.

I've been definately spending waaaaay too much time around here lately...

Noxon
05-28-2007, 10:58 PM
What advice does he need? He doesn't - that's why I jumped down his throat.

I agree. If I had access to free Subway, I'd be eating there everyday...BUT NOT EVERY MEAL. Sure, his macros are probably ok, but his micros are definately not where they could be.

If someone asks for advice, I try to give good advice - not what the OP wants to hear. It pisses me off if someone asks for advice and then say "Nah, I'll just keep on doing what I'm doing". It's fine if they don't agree but just say "Ok, thanks for the input. I'll look into that." - don't get defensive and then dismiss the advice flippantly.

I've been definately spending waaaaay too much time around here lately...
Sens, my comments weren't necessarily directed at you. I actually just wanted to illustrate that by taking a certain tone, one can implicitly force people to become defensive, which I believe is what happened in this thread.

I could have worded it like this and driven home the same key points:

Guys, while I agree that it will be ideal for the OP to incorporate more whole foods into his diet, I think he has some valid reasons for not wanting to completely reinvent things, not the least of which is the high cost of whole foods compared to the Subway he is getting for free (!!!) and his budgetary needs. Given that his macros can be easily adjusted and are already in the ballpark, and his micros can be supplemented with fresh fruit and veggie snacks during the day, it's safe to say that a solid foundation for either a cut or muscle development can be built off this. If anything, the extreme convenience and simplicity of this diet is going to be a plus for him while he is a newbie to nutrition.

... And then you (Or somebody else who read it first) certainly wouldn't have gotten defensive, and perhaps the discussion would have moved forward.

Man I am tired...

For the record, the comment that really struck me as stupid and unfounded was this: "All in all, you can either waste your time in the gym with crappy nutrition (because you aren't going to gain/lose/whatever (consistently) if you don't have the nutrition down), or else you can brush up on Martha Stewart Living and show those kids from HS at your 10 yr reunion what a stud you are."

That is just so canned. It has no real relevancy to the discussion besides being a general statement about the importance of nutrition, not to mention it completely ignores the facts since the OP most certainly could go to the gym and make plenty of progress with his current diet. I just hate it when people respond negatively to a thread without even reading most of it. They see one post and assume they know the whole story. If somebody has a negative opinion, FINE, but at least provide something useful to go along with it like you and Mr. D did! The response I quoted could have been stuck on ANY thread in the nutrition forum and it would have been just as relevant. Which is to say that it was completely worthless and shouldn't have been posted.

Evyllchyld
05-29-2007, 01:00 AM
Hmmm, I guess what I meant is what small things can I do to improve what I'm eating. The reason I can't make food is exactly what noxon said... I just can't afford too...and yes I am lazy when it comes to it too. oddly enough my roommate is on the ramen diet lol. I guess what I mean is, should I get salads there with meats in them instead of the bread? and what small things can I buy at the grocery store that could help my eating habits.. A perfect example was roxons response with throwing in peanuts and taking out the chips so I feel more full throughout the day.

One thing I do have a problem with is some of the responses. Some responses you can just tell they read only the very first post and thought they knew what the rest was and just all the negative comments I got which wasn't really helping at all... just totally discouraging to any newbie trying to learn ****. Yes I worded it wrong and didn't fully explain myself completely but damn now I know. Some of you could of just worded things differently like noxon was saying and it would of came out 100x better then just knocking me for not no, or for trying to explain myself.

Built
05-29-2007, 01:47 AM
Apples and natural peanut butter - make sure it's salted. Salted natty tastes amazing on chunks of apple
Raw nuts - they're all good.
Packages of baby carrots. Eat 'em with cottage cheese for a snack.
Cottage cheese, avocados and canned tuna (which is remarkably wonderful all mixed together)
Dare I say it: Nitrean

Noxon
05-29-2007, 09:25 AM
Evyll -- Almonds are tasty and will work just as well, but make sure you eat in moderation. Almonds are actually the most caloric of ALL the nuts! Measure your servings until you get the hang of it.

You may want to choose something other than almonds if just for the fact that you won't be able to eat very many of them due to their extremely high fat and protein content. Sometimes it is nice to eat more of something to get the same overall nutrients out of it. lol

Here is a neat little article about "Going Nutty":
http://www.ynhh.org/online/nutrition/advisor/nuts.html

One thing I will say is to NOT take their advice about cooking nuts to bring out flavor. This will break down some of the unsaturated fats in the nuts, which you don't really want, so just munch 'em raw.

Edit: Oh, and the abs above me (aka Built)... Yeah, you can learn a lot from her signature. Whereas my signature will only inform you that I cannot properly quote movies, her signature is a little window into a world of well-referenced nutritional info. It's a good place to start reading, and if you really want to get into it, start following the references.

EWI
05-29-2007, 11:43 AM
Just my .02 here but based on the diet you supplied... you really should add some variety... tuna is a great way to go as it's quick and easy. you can put it on a salad and use some balsamic vinger for falvor. You should be eating some eggs as they have about the best amino acid profile for human nutrition (just go ez on the yolks) Try white turkey instead of so much chicken etc...

Finally, great job on the fat loss and I commend you on the desire to now replace the remaining bodyfat with lean muscle. I would try to add muscle at this point as the more muscle you have the higher metabolism you'll have and that in turn will make it easier to shred the remain unwanted fat... besides a little bodyfat looks fine when a person is powerful, strong, and toned... We have a term in one of the gyms I go to "skinny fat people" basically they are thin but lack muscle tone or shape. You are definately on the right track... just add some variety to your diet and eat lean.