PDA

View Full Version : Sumo Deadlift in a Suit

deeder
07-11-2007, 10:25 AM
To those who pull sumo in a suit... How the hell do you do it?!

I got a Metal V-type Squatter to deadlift in. I worked up to 210kg (5kgs less than my PB conventional pull) and the bar was still flying up. I love the pop I get off the floor from it.

My problem though is getting to the bar and getting my grip set. What's the best way to setup and get to the bar?

TommyBoy
07-11-2007, 11:37 AM
First off, great choice of suit. I love this suit. What I find personally works the best, is to have the straps slightly loose, and make sure it's super snug in the hips. Go to the bar, set your feet, take as long as you need to get set. Then when the footing is ready, plan where you're gonna grab the bar, shoot down and as soon as you feel the bar, you pull that mother up. Doing it this way will help utilize the stetch reflex which is very important in sumo pulling. If you can't get to the bar, your suit is too tight.

deeder
07-11-2007, 11:47 AM
First off, great choice of suit. I love this suit. What I find personally works the best, is to have the straps slightly loose, and make sure it's super snug in the hips. Go to the bar, set your feet, take as long as you need to get set. Then when the footing is ready, plan where you're gonna grab the bar, shoot down and as soon as you feel the bar, you pull that mother up. Doing it this way will help utilize the stetch reflex which is very important in sumo pulling. If you can't get to the bar, your suit is too tight.

That's pretty much what I did yesterday but without taking time to set my grip I ended up with the bar in my fingertips everytime. It was a bit easier by the end of my workout to get to the bar because the suit had stretched out a tiny bit. I plan on getting it on one more time before provincials so hopefully it won't be too tight.

Oh yeah, and all my gear is Metal. Viking Presser, Viking Squatter, V-type Squatter and their Black Wraps. I even have a Metal Singlet :cool:

Adam
07-11-2007, 12:20 PM
I think Chris Rogers will be able to answer this great.
He's a psycho on sumo deads;) Explosive as hell!

TommyBoy
07-11-2007, 12:27 PM
That's pretty much what I did yesterday but without taking time to set my grip I ended up with the bar in my fingertips everytime.
It's a matter of mastering the technique. Everything has to happen so fast, it's hard to get it right.

It was a bit easier by the end of my workout to get to the bar because the suit had stretched out a tiny bit. I plan on getting it on one more time before provincials so hopefully it won't be too tight.
Awesome, good idea. It'll work great.

Oh yeah, and all my gear is Metal. Viking Presser, Viking Squatter, V-type Squatter and their Black Wraps. I even have a Metal Singlet :cool:
Good shiz man! How is the Viking presser? I might be purchasing this one.

deeder
07-11-2007, 12:42 PM
I think Chris Rogers will be able to answer this great.
He's a psycho on sumo deads;) Explosive as hell!

Yeah I was hoping he'd pop in here with a few stategic tips for me. :bow:

It's a matter of mastering the technique. Everything has to happen so fast, it's hard to get it right.

Awesome, good idea. It'll work great.

Good shiz man! How is the Viking presser? I might be purchasing this one.

Lifting raw is so much easier. All this technical bull**** is hard! hahaha, well worth it in the end though :shoot:

I really my Viking Presser. It's not too too tight and I got about 40-45lbs out of it the first time I put it on. That was only about a month after I started training to bench in a shirt specifically. I can't compare it to anything though because it's the only shirt I've ever worn.

TommyBoy
07-11-2007, 01:03 PM
I really my Viking Presser. It's not too too tight and I got about 40-45lbs out of it the first time I put it on. That was only about a month after I started training to bench in a shirt specifically. I can't compare it to anything though because it's the only shirt I've ever worn.
Any idea where the groove is on this shirt?

deeder
07-11-2007, 02:05 PM
Any idea where the groove is on this shirt?

To be honest I have no idea. I touch pretty low on my chest, definitely not upper abs though and it seems to be working alright with this shirt. I think I'm going to Moose Jaw either this weekend or next to train so I'll probably be in my shirt one last time before provincials. There are a few guys out there that use them so I'll be asking lots of questions.

TommyBoy
07-11-2007, 02:10 PM
Good stuff Deeder. It's nice to see another Canadian who supports Metal. Most of them are all infatuated with Titan.

I'm actually thinking of maybe getting the basic metal bencher. I really don't like the shirts that have the soft backs. The more uncomfortable the shirt, the better I bench in it.

Chris Rodgers
07-11-2007, 03:00 PM
I do it like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4p7AYs8Z0p4

I like to get my air at the top before I go down to the bar. Then I try and keep my head up when I reach for it. If I have to dip the hips a little after I grab it I do and then pull like a bastard!

deeder
07-11-2007, 03:22 PM
Good stuff Deeder. It's nice to see another Canadian who supports Metal. Most of them are all infatuated with Titan.

I'm actually thinking of maybe getting the basic metal bencher. I really don't like the shirts that have the soft backs. The more uncomfortable the shirt, the better I bench in it.

Maybe you should have a shirt custom made that has some big spikes that stick into you... If it's the pain that makes you lift better :whip:

I do it like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4p7AYs8Z0p4

I like to get my air at the top before I go down to the bar. Then I try and keep my head up when I reach for it. If I have to dip the hips a little after I grab it I do and then pull like a bastard!

Thanks Chris! I was going to try to find a video of you pulling. I'll study some of your lifts before my next session in the suit. :)

TommyBoy
07-11-2007, 03:44 PM
Maybe you should have a shirt custom made that has some big spikes that stick into you... If it's the pain that makes you lift better :whip:
Sweet, where can i get a spike shirt?

HeavyBomber
07-11-2007, 04:02 PM
Very good info. I'm getting ready to purchase a suit.

TommyBoy
07-11-2007, 04:10 PM
Very good info. I'm getting ready to purchase a suit.
Oh s***, look out!!!

Talking_God
07-11-2007, 04:26 PM
Oh god..HB's gonna tear it up even more. I look forward to hearing how you do with equipment.

Deeder- Just came by to give you some support, ever since I've joined this forum and learned about the magical deadlift ;) I've seen your numbers improve greatly and I want to wish you luck in your powerlifting at provincials :)

Chris- You're a beast..dunno what else to say, I get more impressed every time I see your vids lol

deeder
07-12-2007, 11:38 AM
Oh god..HB's gonna tear it up even more. I look forward to hearing how you do with equipment.

Deeder- Just came by to give you some support, ever since I've joined this forum and learned about the magical deadlift ;) I've seen your numbers improve greatly and I want to wish you luck in your powerlifting at provincials :)

Chris- You're a beast..dunno what else to say, I get more impressed every time I see your vids lol

Thanks alot man! Hopefully my numbers will keep climbing for a looooong time!

Guido
07-12-2007, 01:52 PM
What's your weight at Deeder? Do they go by coefficients in the fed you're lifting in? Do you know how many other guys are competing in your class?

deeder
07-12-2007, 03:03 PM
What's your weight at Deeder? Do they go by coefficients in the fed you're lifting in? Do you know how many other guys are competing in your class?

I'm weighing between 194-197 lately. They use the Wilks coefficient to determine best overall lifter and best lifter in each age category at big competitions. You weight at weigh in only matters if there is a tie after all attempts have been completed, then the lighter lifter wins.

I'm pretty sure there will only be one other lifter in my weight class. There could be two if another guy decides he doesn't want to make weight.

Talking_God
07-12-2007, 06:33 PM
I'm weighing between 194-197 lately.

This is why I'm not looking forward to joining the college's powerlifting team next year. All you guys in my weight class are going to destroy me lol

Sidior
07-12-2007, 08:53 PM
This is why I'm not looking forward to joining the college's powerlifting team next year. All you guys in my weight class are going to destroy me lol

Powerlifting is about setting PRs man, don't worry about what others lift.

TommyBoy
07-12-2007, 09:21 PM
Amen brother.

Detard
07-12-2007, 09:49 PM

This man speaks the truth.

deeder
07-12-2007, 10:14 PM

Another +1.

I wouldn't be competing anymore if it was all about winning ;)

Talking_God
07-12-2007, 11:24 PM
Well, I'm always striving to better my current records, and that's undoubtedly why I do it. Just, it's a little discouraging I suppose to see people in my weightclass whose totals are almost double mine lol